More fruit, or more greens?

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I feel like half the caresheets I've read say the majority (>60%) of a red foot's diet should be fruit, and the other half says the majority should be greens.

I know red foots can handle more fruit than other tortoises, but what percentage of the diet should it really be?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The thing is the term fruit can misleading. When we think fruits here in the US we think, apples, banana,watermelon etc.. The only fruits red foots will typically devour I. South America will be fruits of native trees there. Papaya, mango, banana, and sometimes guava. But really they forage on fallen leaf pods from plants. These are considered a fruit of whichever plant they fall from. They graze a bit on grasses and weeds too in the savanna areas they can be found in. The best thing is a large variety. Most fruits we can offer here are very high in sugar. So should definitely be fed not on the 60% level at all. More greens the better, the darker the better too. Mushrooms are a good filler too, and they love them. Try some sweet potatoe as well, they love that. Mix it in with some hard boiled eggs, or worms and they will be great.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Like Tortadise said, go for the greens, BUT, more importantly than worrying about that is offering a good variety over time. IF we had access to more of the sorts of fruits red-footeds eat in their native range, high in calcium, high in fiber, low in sugar, and low in moisture, then we could offer more fruit.

Some other common fruits to try include cucumber, pumpkin, squash, bell peppers, etc. If it has seeds, it is a fruit- no matter what part of the grocery store it is in. If it is sweet and juicy, limit it. If it is drier and high in fiber and calcium- go for it!

Also look for odd stuff- dandelion greens, edible flowers, fruit tree and other edible plant leaves (hibiscus and mulberry for example), mushrooms (they don't generally like the plain white ones as much)

By the way, some common native fruits are mostly things we have never heard of here- cacti (Opuntia), figs (Ficus), pehen (Acaciaaroma), Spondias, Annona, Philodendron, bromiliad, and more. (Just FYI- bananas are native to Malaysia and Australia, and mango is native to southeast Asia.)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Like Tortadise said, go for the greens, BUT, more importantly than worrying about that is offering a good variety over time. IF we had access to more of the sorts of fruits red-footeds eat in their native range, high in calcium, high in fiber, low in sugar, and low in moisture, then we could offer more fruit.

Some other common fruits to try include cucumber, pumpkin, squash, bell peppers, etc. If it has seeds, it is a fruit- no matter what part of the grocery store it is in. If it is sweet and juicy, limit it. If it is drier and high in fiber and calcium- go for it!

Also look for odd stuff- dandelion greens, edible flowers, fruit tree and other edible plant leaves (hibiscus and mulberry for example), mushrooms (they don't generally like the plain white ones as much)

By the way, some common native fruits are mostly things we have never heard of here- cacti (Opuntia), figs (Ficus), pehen (Acaciaaroma), Spondias, Annona, Philodendron, bromiliad, and more. (Just FYI- bananas are native to Malaysia and Australia, and mango is native to southeast Asia.)
You are correct mark. They are not native. They certainly grow rather wild though. I'd wonder really with human introduced flora like this has on native wildlife. It's somewhat within the edible realms on a minor scale. Would be interesting to see a study on invasive non native flora and it's impact on native wildlife. I know the wondering spider sure does lay claim to banana bushels all throughout South America. I've seen rhinnoclemmys devouring bananas and mangos in Central America in the wild. Hmm good thought for a study.