More pictures from today: heavy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Well its been pretty hot around here, around high 80s and 90s during the day. I been turning on the mist and the tortoises are loving it. The plants in the enclosure also are getting even bigger. The tortoises have been outside in there enclosure for a few weeks now and doing great. Here are some pictures.

First are a few of the enclosure and you can see how the plants have grown, even a rainbow, lol
IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Also i had a draining problem and made the water collect on one side and it makes a pool, here is the pool now.
IMG_0744.jpg

Now for the tortoises: They love to keep an eye on me, and are always keeping a close eye on what i'm doing.
IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Mmmm.. food:
IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Here are the rest:

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Watching me:
IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

and then a random picture of my dog shadow thats 16 year old husky, old guy:
IMG_0622.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just love those evil eyes!! What are you going to do about the lid when the plants get bigger? Good lookin' set-up for your Manouria tortoises.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Love your tortoise pictures. The enclosure is quite nice and I see that just like Dale your's likes mushrooms. I bet Shadow is not enjoying this heat spell is he?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Looks great! They must feel like they are in the jungle!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow so nice pictures :). I really love the enclosure, it is sooo nice. Your little friends must be very happy in it :D

raYchiLL

5 Year Member
Love it I wish I could deck out my enclosure like that but my soil is mostly clay so barely anything grows =/ !!!!! Your Husky looks good for bieng 16 I must say lol!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thanks.. Yeah our soil was pretty clay like, I put a few layers now its pretty fertile. as for my husky, he looks good, but he sleeps a lot, and you can tell hes old, lol. But when you do go outside he always still wants to play.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
raYchiLL said:
Love it I wish I could deck out my enclosure like that but my soil is mostly clay so barely anything grows =/ !!!!! Your Husky looks good for bieng 16 I must say lol!!

Dig up a patch of your clay soil, turning it over and breaking up the clods. Then sprinkle some purchased top soil over the area and take your shovel again and "stir" it up, incorporating the top soil and the clay together. You could also use sand. It would be a good idea to add some gypsum while you are turning the soil. Gypsum helps break up the clay and aids in draining.

What happens with heavy clay soil (reason nothing grows) is it packs down so hard that there is no longer any oxygen in the soil. All plants' roots need oxygen to thrive. So by turning and tilling the soil, you are adding oxygen back into the soil, then the purchased top soil (can be purchased at any home improvement or garden store) will help to keep it lighter so it won't pack down again.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah, here in california we have pretty packed dirt on the ground, I took a tiller to my enclosure before i even put the sides up, then i put the side in for the enclosure, then i made the slope for drainage, then a bag of top soil, then a bag of moss. I guess its working pretty good because plants are thriving and wild mushrooms are growing which is a good sign of fertile soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.