More weed to ID

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411840960.539388.jpg
What GC (Garden Compass) says: This looks like Common Purslane. It bears tiny yellow flowers with plump oval foliage. Control by pulling out before it goes to seed if it spreads into places you do not want it. A lovely plant when contained to a pot.

Our apologies but we cannot identify the taller plant in the background, but it might be another weed.
My question: What is the taller plant?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411841259.093873.jpg
What GC says: Unfortunately we cannot identify your plant for you at this stage. Please wait until it forms some distinctive characteristics such as flowers, fruits, berries, seed heads etc. as well as any other information you might have about it, take another photo at that time and we will try to identify for you. Or you might show your photo to a horticulturist at your local garden center or public garden to see if they can identify it. If you do find out, please let us know as this is how we learn as well.

It might be a species of Abutilon, but we cannot be sure at this stage.
My question: Anyone know any similar weed?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The one really looks like purslane to me. No clue on the others.
Did you find out yet?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
The one really looks like purslane to me. No clue on the others.
Did you find out yet?
I gave you guys all the information I was given, So I have to wait until they show signs of flowers and fruiting :( I was hoping someone here can help...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Purslane is yummy...the other looks like it has hairy leaves?? I avoid hairy/fuzzy plants a bunch I have found and identified are toxic.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
In the first picture the tall one is some sort of Chenopod, either Chenopodium or Amaranthus. I agree the other flat one is very likely "purslane" - Portulaca oleracea. These are both edible, but very high in oxalates, so feed in moderation, and always with other foods.
The second one is not familiar to me, but might be in the mallow family. Kenaf sort of looks like this. Post more pictures when it flowers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The last picture is a seedling tulip tree. See how the leaves are shaped like tulips? (yellow poplar)