Morty's back!

HuyckB04

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Morty was taken to the vet by Petco because he wasn't eating. He has tested parasite-free and after several days of observation has been eating well. I was able to go pick him up today.

It's great to have him home. I've made a couple of adjustments to his enclosure and diet, thanks to suggestions from various users of this forum.

1. I've started lightly misting the coconut coir substrate with water each morning.
2. Tomatoes have been removed from Morty's diet.
3. I've added green pepper and cucumber to morty's food dish, along with the old staples.
4. I've sunk Morty's food dish deeper into the substrate so that he can see the food from anywhere in the enclosure
5. The timer for the UVB light has been adjusted so that the lamp will be on for 14 hours/day
6. I've unhooked the ceramic heat lamp from the timer to ensure adequate heat 24 hours/day.

Any other suggestions? Here's a picture of my little pal now that he's back! IMG_20141028_122928_439.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Glad he's back and doing good. What are your ambient temps? Humidity levels? Night temps? Basking light temps? All those are important. I use a thermostat controller to maintain my temps I just hook up the CHE to it and it maintains the temps where you want it night or day.

— Gus

HuyckB04

Iowa
Glad he's back and doing good. What are your ambient temps? Humidity levels? Night temps? Basking light temps? All those are important. I use a thermostat controller to maintain my temps I just hook up the CHE to it and it maintains the temps where you want it night or day.

— Gus

Temps are as follows:

Basking rock: 92F
Ambient: 76F
Hide: 75F

Humidity unknown. I will be adding water to the coir though.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I remember you saying the pet store torts had cucumber in their diet?
I'm not saying its a good food, since its not, but it may be wise to keep a few slices in his dish each day and slowly lessen it, just so what you know is good food is seen to him as actual food since its with what he knows is food. Frank had the same with tomatoes and now he eats greens perfectly fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spinach and cucumber are both okay in small amounts once in a while, but not as a daily food item.