Mosquito spraying

snivloc16

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
So my city has decided it’s going to do an aerial spray for mosquitoes tomorrow night. Not too happy about it but nothing can be done to stop it. I should probably bring my tortoise inside for the night while this happens right? Do I need to cover the outside cage with something to keep the stuff off of it? And will it ruin the weeds that I collect around my house?

xMario

Germany
So my city has decided it’s going to do an aerial spray for mosquitoes tomorrow night. Not too happy about it but nothing can be done to stop it. I should probably bring my tortoise inside for the night while this happens right? Do I need to cover the outside cage with something to keep the stuff off of it? And will it ruin the weeds that I collect around my house?
I would definitely bring them inside yes
Covering the enclosure also sounds like a good idea and definitely change all the water but there's no way to tell that this will prevent the chemicals to enter the enclosure

Do u know what kind of chemical they use?
I don't know but maybe they use a chemical that is animal friendly?
Is a city considering something like this ?
That other animals could get hurt?
I hope so!

(my city recently wanted to do the same but was stopped by animal activists and a big protest. The activists said the chemicals they want to use hurt other wild animals and pets. But I don't know if that is true or not)

I never personally felt like we need to do something about the mosquitoes we sure also have a lot outside but in a whole year I get stung like 5 times so I dont mind them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They have no right to spray poisonous chemicals on your property. Stop them.

snivloc16

Kansas
They have no right to spray poisonous chemicals on your property. Stop them.

I agree. And people tried to stop it from happening but they still voted to do it. I have my inside enclosure ready to go for tonight and a nice heavy duty tarp to cover the outdoor one. My biggest concern now is all weeds. They will be ruined won’t they?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You could make sure you are home during the spraying time, carefully observing who what when where how. If you have water sprinklers, maybe get everything wet before, during and after. Then when all done, a really thorough soaking of as much as you can.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will be ruined won’t they?
To answer this we'd need to know specifically what is being applied, where exactly they spray, and how thoroughly they spray your weedy area.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd use food that I know is safe.

Relic

Here
When they spray around here they use a truck driven through the neighborhood fogging the air as it goes, usually in the overnight hours. We have a fair amount of mosquitoes carrying West Nile virus, and we have people contract it every year, and usually some of them die from it. So it's hard to argue against trying to eliminate the mosquitoes that are spreading a deadly virus. I've never brought in any animals during the spraying and have never had a problem, but my enclosure is 130 feet from my front curb. I also have absolutely no idea what they spray, either.

When we were kids the trucks used to cruise through the neighborhoods around dusk blowing out enough insecticide fog to totally make the street disappear. And...we thought it great sport to ride our bikes in that fog and see who could get closest to the truck. It was a simpler time...

snivloc16

Kansas
To answer this we'd need to know specifically what is being applied, where exactly they spray, and how thoroughly they spray your weedy area.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd use food that I know is safe.

The chemical is Dibrom. They say it’s not harmful to people or pets.