moss peat as substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi

my vet told me if I want to change substrate I should use sterilized moss peat.
Well I did and now it seems they really like it. the only thing is they have it all over... If I want to keep it moist it is sticky and getting into everything.
Does anybody have experience with this kind of substrate and do tortoises mind moss all over... bit on the food, bit in the water? (I keep food separated but sure they go inside... :) )

thanks a lot

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I have never used peat moss as a substrate. It's not the safest for them as far as accidental ingestion of it since it obviously gets stuck to everything. Although humidity is very important to Hermann's tortoises and especially youngsters, this can be achieved other ways as well. Creating a humid hide, frequent soaks and baths, mistings and of course a water dish (kept clean) will help. The tortoises probably do not "mind" having it all over them as digging and burrowing are natural behaviors and many are often caked with dirt from coming out of the ground. However, since it is very messy it can and will get stuck to food itmes very easily and you should be sure the animals are not consuming a lot of it. A bedding of aspen, or a soil/sand mix is best for these tortoises, but again I have never tried this substrate with this species. Hope this helps. :)
-Chris

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you...
well it seems there are milion sizes to moss peat... and I had the smallest one :(
I went to pet shop and bought tree bark for reptiles... big enough so they can't eat it... it is a bit strange with heating cause I have heating of the floor and it is not so good in conducting heat. and it is not so warm now. But I can't put it out cause it is not ok for them to be in contact with warm wire without supervision :p
so.... but they have a basket in which they sleep (funny but every night they sleep there and it is quite warm inside)- they are mild warm on touch when they are sleeping now... is it ok? over the day they have UV lamp and also one lamp for heating.... but I am not leaving it on when nobody is home cause of flipping over under it. well in my room is 24 at least so... they are definitely not cold. but just for check up :)

thanks

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Can you post a photo of your enclosure for us? The two things that I'm seeing a potential problem with are the bedding and what do you mean by heating of the floor? Heat pad?

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I will post it tomorrow. It is a heating wire on the floor covered with alu foliage (sorry for bad english) and over it is that tree bark. It is specialized for tortoises and I checked all over if it is suited for small Hermanni. The vet gave her blessing :)
Temperature sounds ok? how warm they are? when it was warmer they moved to sleep in colder part (it is a big enclosure 1x1m and half part is heated)...

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi

Sorry for being bit late...
here are the photos, this is my bigger one :) Kreso... he is two and a half :)
for me it seems they really like it like this.
As you can see you can't notice the heating cause it is under the bark.

So what do you think?
:)

Attachments

• nastambajpg.jpg
    nastambajpg.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 163
  • kreso.jpg
    kreso.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 121

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use some sphagnum moss indoors but not as a substrate on its own. I have some clumps of it lying about on the tortoise table and I also keep some sphagnum moss damp in a hide they can go in when they want. I think it can be useful but not on its own. I don't think sphagnum moss is poisonous at all, but mine never eat it.

I use a mixture of playsand and topsoil as the basic substrate. The only problem with it that I've had is the fact its heavy. It can get too dry if its never watered. I load it into seed trays and this means I can take a tray out and water the substrate thoroughly from time to time to maintain some humidity.

I'm not in favour of the underfloor heating. There can a build up of heat under the substrate and other problems. If its a warm room and you have a spot lamp for heat and a UV tube then I would think you don't need the under heating at all.

Nice photos, the sleeping quarters look good to me.

Some people use readigrass as a substrate here in the UK but I've not tried it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I really like those straw/reed (?) hiding places. Where on earth did you find something like that? I don't know about using peat moss, but a lot of folks use coconut coir, which looks a little like peat moss.

Yvonne

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi

as you could see on pics this is pine bark I have now and they seem to like it. They can't eat it so that part is covered :) and no moss peat. It is clumsy cause when wet it get all over food and water so...

Hiding places.. those are baskets that are used for walls, like flat one one side and round on the other. You can find it like in every shopping center with accessories for homes. They usually come in few sizes which is convenient :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice enclosure Edita,
I really like your idea of a half basket for walls as a hide :)
Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Edita said:
as you could see on pics this is pine bark I have now and they seem to like it. They can't eat it so that part is covered

I don't think your bark is pine bark...pine is usually lighter in color. But just in case, keep a close watch on your little guys' eyes, as pine oil is pretty harsh and usually causes weeping, swollen eyes.

Yvonne

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok thanks, but this bark is especially for reptiles and by that I mean tortoises. For now they don't seem to mind. And on the bag it sais pine bark :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it actually says pine bark on the bag, I'd personally change it out. I also googled pine bark, and chips the same shape and color of yours showed up. Pine used for a substrate is toxic to torts (and it's also been shown for small animals like mice or hamsters), and sometimes they may not show symptoms at first (or at all) but it can build up in their system. Better safe than sorry.

Sometimes even products marketed for reptiles are still bad...manufacturers always don't have the best interests of the animal in mind and just want to make money. For example, manufacturers produce stuff like reptile sand and foods with junk ingredients. Pet stores recommend aquariums and all sorts of "bad" products for torts. It's sad but true.

M

Maggie Cummings

When anyone says pine substrate to me I have a panic attack! Pine is TOXIC to tortoises, no if ands or buts! Within 4 months of having 3 small Sulcata on pine substrate one was dead, one was having swollen and weepy eyes and the third spent the next couple of years growing nicely but with serious eye problems the end result is he is totally blind in his left eye with diminished sight in his right. I spent several thousands of dollars at the Vet trying to care for his poor eyes. Sometimes during a flare up his eyes would hurt so bad he would drool making a whining noise as he'd lay with his head out and down on the substrate. I don't think that I have ever treated a tortoise who hurt so bad you could actually see the hurt. He'd be so hurt and I'd just cry at how he looked and it was totally my fault. That's how I learned that pine is toxic for tortoises...so I always tell that to a new keeper...NO PINE!!!
If that package says it's safe for tortoise it probably is...but if it says the contents are made from pine I'd throw it out immediately...

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Guys, what should I change it to? Come on, I did my research, talked to the vet who is actually specialized in reptiles... This is the best choice I have. Soil is frozen outside so I can't go and dig some out :( I will keep and eye on them, but this is the best option I have. It says it is safe for tortoises and for next 2 months at least it is the best I can get them.

Edita

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
substrate for hermann

Edita I think you should consider Aspen shavings. I've never used it but I know lots of tortoise keepers use it and have no problems. I don't have any experience with pine, but I know that over here (the UK) it is not recommended for tortoises.

After reading what other people said about pine, I personally would throw that out and if I had to just use newspaper for a short time I would do that.

Does anyone in the states use Readigrass? Its taken off here amongst tortoise keepers after most of us stopped using hemp.

Edita said:
Guys, what should I change it to? Come on, I did my research, talked to the vet who is actually specialized in reptiles... This is the best choice I have. Soil is frozen outside so I can't go and dig some out :( I will keep and eye on them, but this is the best option I have. It says it is safe for tortoises and for next 2 months at least it is the best I can get them.

Edita

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Regardless of what a vet says, you are getting responses here from tortoise keepers. People who focus either solely on one species or keep several. When speaking to any veterinarian, you must keep in mind that their knowledge is usually general and although they may know how to treat reptiles, they may not know specifics on care for a particular species of tortoise such as hermann's tortoise. Pine is not receommended. There are plenty of reasons why not to use it and even though some may report that they have had success with it, you really should keep in mind that the reason why people are telling you to stay away from it is because there have been PROBLEMS with it. The oils from it can possibly cause irritation, and if it is ingested you have a bigger problem potentially. As already stated, aspen or soil/sand mix is best. Rabbit or alfalfa pellets will work well for the time being and as Ozric stated, newspaper makes a suitable substrate atleast until you can locate something better.

I also want to point out that just because it says it's for tortoises on the bag does not mean it's your best choice at all. There are several reptile products out there made for these animals that most people won't even go near because they can cause harm or even kill a tortoise. Heat rocks were made for reptiles, yet they probably killed more than anything else. This is a great place to really learn about many species of tortoise and you have the opportunity to speak with people who have years and years of experience with these animals.

By the way, the set up looks great, nice and clean. ;)
-Chris

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everybody again... but for some time I will stay with this... if somebody wants to know why read more :/

I am a biologist and I know what is in news papers. I wouldn't let any animal or live being sleep or live in that. I am not a newbie. The fact I don't have many posts doesn't mean I have no idea of anything so please... and my vet is a zoo vet and also keeper of reptiles. I know we all want best for our "kids" but mine was just out of antibiotics for no good reason. And by that I mean somebody is home at least 6h of their wake up time, taking care of them, and I mean listen to their breathing, taking care of their eyes, nose... and she got sick, the older one-kreso didn't but she did. you can say now taking care of them doesn't mean anything... but my conditions were like from the book and you all know that doesn't have to mean anything. But my symptoms were not enough for any advice....I wrote few posts on sneezing and I got no reply and my kid ended up on medications cause she had problem breathing. So we can all keep tortoises but doc is a doc and since we changed the soil to that bark which is so wrong she got a lot of weight and honestly I had to give her oral antibiotics cause she was too small for injections.
I feel like a mom, I adore them and you all know we will do our best. I will keep an eye on their eyes more than usually which I assure you is everyday. I will take even more care. But for now I need to see her breathing is ok, she is not sneezing and she is gaining weight.
To be melodramatic I will say it is easy to say do this or that... I didn't sleep for 2weeks cause I was hearing her sneeze at night and nobody could tell me why.. she ate normaly, moved... check the post if you want. So now, she is not sneezing, she is better and I just don't want to keep her in a box until that "soil" comes cause I live in a country where pine bark for tortoises is the best you can get (and Hermanni are native here).

Thanks everybody again, and I apologize if I was rude

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have a few ideas for you to look into:
-aspen shavings or chips (sold either as snake bedding or for small animal bedding like for mice; make sure not to get a mix of wood as you only want the pure aspen)
-coconut fiber/coir (sold in the U.S. under Bed-A-Beast or Eco Earth to assist your search; it can be mixed with play sand which is the chunkier stuff and not the "tasty" reptile sand)
-organic potting soil (I can find it here in the U.S. even in winter; mix with play sand if you like)

I would personally not recommend alfalfa pellets due to the high protein content in case of ingestion, the fact that they roll around (hard to gain footing on for the tort), and too dry. I used newspaper for a bit and didn't like it. Paper towels are an option but of course that's more for a hospital environment if the tort is sick.

Of course this is your personal decision. All of us here are just trying to help and point out a potential serious health problem for your tort. Feel free to help us help you find something suitable and available where you live...I am not familiar with what is available in Croatia. The products such as coconut fiber or aspen could be ordered online from the U.S. if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.