Peat Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaburto99

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I currently have three baby sulcatas. I have them currently on peat moss as their bedding. Is this pretty good? Or should I upgrade? What's better? This is what the pet shop told me to put them on. Just curious to know if anything is better. Thanks.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
A lot of people here use cypress mulch, coco coir, or coconut fiber. I use peat moss in his hide box.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I just recently had a mold issue with peat moss. Before the mold problem happened I loved it, now not so much.
I switched to cypress mulch, I really really like it. So far no issues so I'm happy.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
What I do is use a couple inches of peat-sand-leaf mulch mix underneath about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of cypress mulch, it seems to hold the moisture longer,and helps keep the humidity up.I think peat moss by it's self is to messy.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
HipsterTorts said:
I just recently had a mold issue with peat moss. Before the mold problem happened I loved it, now not so much.
I switched to cypress mulch, I really really like it. So far no issues so I'm happy.

I only had mold once with peat moss and that only when I put it under the water dish. It kept getting wet and it was covered so mold grew. So now I just put it under the dry hide and I don't spray it so no mold grows.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I use the coir and a much smaller amount of sand combo and love it. I do also have small areas with things like the cypress mulch and leaves. The mulch for the majority of the enclosure when using it for a small tortoise, is just to big and too many sharp points for me to feel comfortable using it. The coir/sand holds moisture well, but does allow the surface to dry in between wetting it. Sand is found in most all soils and if your caring for your tortoise correctly, should not cause impaction issues. Then again, all substrates can possibly cause impactions.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
ewam said:
HipsterTorts said:

I only had mold once with peat moss and that only when I put it under the water dish. It kept getting wet and it was covered so mold grew. So now I just put it under the dry hide and I don't spray it so no mold grows.

Yeah I got it under the water bowl and then where ever it stayed really moist. If I could keep a part of the enclosure dry so they could burrow in it then I'd put some back in, but one of my tortoises has eye issues so I have to keep everything moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.