most horrible thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Went to the Pet store to get some wax worms and saw this. They are in a 40 gal tank...can't even walk I was in shock. I tried to talk to them, but they said they are expecting them to sell fast. Something for everyone. Meanwhile my friend said that the RF has been there for almost a year. Very sad...
100MEDIAIMAG0173.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG0172.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Sadly it's much too common.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Omg !! What is the bigger one closest to the window??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a nice looking hingeback. :( Wish I were a bit closer, would certainly get that one out of there.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
I hate seeing terrible conditions, small enclosures, and mixed species in pet stores..and worse they will almost never remedy it when brought to their attention. They have no interest in what's best for them..

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry, doesn't it make you not want to go to the petstore anymore? I hate when you walk into some place that is suppose to know how to take care of animals (duh, because that's their main sell) and you find them in conditions like these. Why not a bigger environment? Does it really cost that much more to keep them in a bigger enclosure or maybe even separate? Shameful if that's how they make their money as a business. :(

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Candy said:
Terry, doesn't it make you not want to go to the petstore anymore? I hate when you walk into some place that is suppose to know how to take care of animals (duh, because that's their main sell) and you find them in conditions like these. Why not a bigger environment? Does it really cost that much more to keep them in a bigger enclosure or maybe even separate? Shameful if that's how they make their money as a business. :(

i agree with you. lindy

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
What I alway's wonder is why wouldn't they want to set up their habitat correctly? If they put everything that was needed like light's, CHE's substrate, moss, water etc., wouldn't that boost sales and help move the other product's??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
What I alway's wonder is why wouldn't they want to set up their habitat correctly? If they put everything that was needed like light's, CHE's substrate, moss, water etc., wouldn't that boost sales and help move the other product's??

Can I play the devil's advocate here? Let's take a look at what this cage does have...looks like there is a water bowl they could possibly fit in.(second picture right side), so they have water covered. Looks like there is some water in it and it certainly is not dirty.

The substrate, while not one I would recommend, it does qualify as allowable substrate. I think I would rate it above pure sand, newspaper, and rabbit pellets. It looks clean atleast.

There is a hide and a plant, so even tho they could not all hide at once, they do have something there. The hide looks like the tortoises have moved it (or the food dish)

The food dish is empty now, which may mean they ate it all. It too, is clean looking.

We don't need a UV light on the Redfoot or the hingeback. It may also be warm enough in the store not to need a CHE. Moss is not something we HAVE to have, so throw that one out.

Mixing species, while not ideal for many reasons, it is still very common. Just go to any Zoo where animals are expected to be there for their entire lives and you will most often see species being mixed to maximize what they can show in the amount of space they have available to draw in the crowds who keep the zoos open (just like a pet store).

So really what is so very wrong with the picture?

I don't think folks will necessarily buy things just because we see them being used in a pet store. Those who would be more inclined to buy the extras are also those who will go home research the animal and come back to get what they really need. If they bought the "bad" type of substrate, they are going to be rebuying substrate switching to the correct stuff. It is easier to get somebody to buy the "cheap" tortoise with the least amount of items, then it would be to get somebody impulse buying to shell out the big bucks right at the start.

M

Maggie Cummings

Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Can I play the devil's advocate here? Let's take a look at what this cage does have...looks like there is a water bowl they could possibly fit in.(second picture right side), so they have water covered. Looks like there is some water in it and it certainly is not dirty.

The substrate, while not one I would recommend, it does qualify as allowable substrate. I think I would rate it above pure sand, newspaper, and rabbit pellets. It looks clean atleast.

There is a hide and a plant, so even tho they could not all hide at once, they do have something there. The hide looks like the tortoises have moved it (or the food dish)

The food dish is empty now, which may mean they ate it all. It too, is clean looking.

We don't need a UV light on the Redfoot or the hingeback. It may also be warm enough in the store not to need a CHE. Moss is not something we HAVE to have, so throw that one out.

Mixing species, while not ideal for many reasons, it is still very common. Just go to any Zoo where animals are expected to be there for their entire lives and you will most often see species being mixed to maximize what they can show in the amount of space they have available to draw in the crowds who keep the zoos open (just like a pet store).

I don't think folks will necessarily buy things just because we see them being used in a pet store. Those who would be more inclined to buy the extras are also those who will go home research the animal and come back to get what they really need. If they bought the "bad" type of substrate, they are going to be rebuying substrate switching to the correct stuff. It is easier to get somebody to buy the "cheap" tortoise with the least amount of items, then it would be to get somebody impulse buying to shell out the big bucks right at the start.
(quote)

I always enjoy it when you play devil's advocate. It gives a different view that most times I hadn't looked at...

Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
So sad. Pet stores say they do not have space and money to provide properly for them. All I can say is take a trip to Preuss Pets in Lansing, MI.

Every animal is in a large habitat that is beautifully decorated and they are cared for amazingly. Did the set ups cost them extra? Yes, but they make so much more in profits. People come from all over to get advice and ideas from them. They generate a TON of revenue by selling decor items like slate and natural woods.

I wish these pet stores would realize this. If you show people how nice the set up can look, they will buy the supplies to re-create it! Supplies generate way more profit then the animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.