Movement frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasbennians

5 Year Member
Hello!

We have a young Hermanns tortoise named River. How often should we expect her to have bowel movements? We think she recently went from 2 or more per week to maybe less than once per week. She is still eating lots of greens but we took her off of carrots perhaps around the same time as the change.

Thanks!

N + R + River.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
what else do you feed her? Mine usually poo about every day, but I don't really check

Oh and welcome to TFO!!! :D

abclements

5 Year Member
Welcome! Torts are poo eaters... especially when they're young... it helps keep the bacteria in their digestive system strong and healthy. I know that I don't find a lot of poo in my Red Foots enclosure and I toss it up to him eating it. Kinda gross, I know! But that's just how it is lol

Nasbennians

5 Year Member
Right now she is on a rotation of mostly dandelion leaves and kale with calcium and a touch of ground Timothy hay for fibre. She has also had parsley, endive, escarole, and we took her off of the carrot because we thought it might have too much sugar.

Also, how often should we see the white uric acid?

Andrea M

5 Year Member
My hatchling Hermann only generally poops once a week, I questioned this on here too, however, it is usually a HUGE poop!

image-1107390579.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It takes a long time for food to move through a tortoise's digestive tract. What he eats today may not come out the other end for a couple weeks. I've tested this by feeding my Manouria tortoises canteloup with seeds. I didn't see the seeds for a couple weeks. Of course, different species of tortoise may digest faster or slower. But to answer your question, some tortoises poop every day, some not as often. If you notice your tortoise has to strain to poop, then maybe he's not well-hydrated.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I do know that red foot are sorta different than most torts in the way that they need fruits veggies and some times a little protein. I'm not an expert on red foots so I wouldn't always listen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.