Moving Homes with Tortoise

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I’m wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to move homes with your tortoise? I will be moving 4 hours away and need to prepare to travel with my little guy the long distance.
Also if anyone has any tips on moving multiple cats and an aquarium full of fish that would be appreciated too

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! Good luck with the move! Glad it's you and not me! ???

Make sure to keep the cats confined in the new house for at least two weeks or they may disappear.

Lower the water level in the aquarium to keep splashing to a minimum.

If the tortoise is an indoor tortoise he may not notice a difference if he's in the same enclosure. He may go off his feed for a few days, but he'll adjust.

Hope it goes well for you and the animals.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Wow! Good luck with the move! Glad it's you and not me! ???

Make sure to keep the cats confined in the new house for at least two weeks or they may disappear.

Lower the water level in the aquarium to keep splashing to a minimum.

If the tortoise is an indoor tortoise he may not notice a difference if he's in the same enclosure. He may go off his feed for a few days, but he'll adjust.

Hope it goes well for you and the animals.
Forgot to mention the 8 month old puppy but he’s the least of my worries ?

if I’m unable to transport the tortoise in his enclosure how would you suggest moving him?
I’m not sure his enclosure will fit in any of our vehicles because of its dimensions and I only drive a small focus hatchback. Would it make sense to start getting him used to a small box or container for the next month before the move so it’s less traumatic and he’s familiar with it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually put the fish in bags or buckets
They get shipped to stores in bags.
Put the tortoise in a box and the cats and puppy in travel cages.
I didnt move 4 hours away, but I did move 4 tortoises, a dog, cat, bird, lizard and 100 gallon aquarium. It's a lot of work but not hard.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Actually put the fish in bags or buckets
They get shipped to stores in bags.
Put the tortoise in a box and the cats and puppy in travel cages.
I didnt move 4 hours away, but I did move 4 tortoises, a dog, cat, bird, lizard and 100 gallon aquarium. It's a lot of work but not hard.

Ditto on the fish. Double bags up, add aquarium water, tie up & place in an ice chest. Add a hand warmer. Add all the bags of fish 1/3 full. Pack with crumpled newspaper. Don’t overcrowd any one bag.

Get to your new location, get your tank set up, treat your water, get your fish some oxygen.

good luck

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Ditto on the fish. Double bags up, add aquarium water, tie up & place in an ice chest. Add a hand warmer. Add all the bags of fish 1/3 full. Pack with crumpled newspaper. Don’t overcrowd any one bag.

Get to your new location, get your tank set up, treat your water, get your fish some oxygen.

good luck
I never would have thought of all this!
I’m moving to what seems like the middle of nowhere and I’m worried there won’t be an aquarium or decent pet store around should all my fish not successfully make it there or something happen to my filter or tank in the process.

Not even sure where I’ll find substrate for my tortoise now either or the special dietary food my cats are on…Amazon may end up being my only source of supplies for a while since everything seems to be at leasy

Grace-Sophia

Texas
What you can do with your tortoise is take a medium-large storage bin, put some of his substrate on the bottom of the bin so he can smell himself to reduce the stress. Next you'll want to grab something for him to hide under, a towel, or a wooden hide, he doesn't need too much room to move around in, he'll probably sleep the whole time anyway. Next you'll want to get something to keep him warm, when I have to move my tort in the car I take some socks, fill them with rice, then microwave until their warm, you'll want to put a couple on one side of the tub so he can warm if he pleases. This should help him to keep comfy and less stressed on the ride.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I never would have thought of all this!
I’m moving to what seems like the middle of nowhere and I’m worried there won’t be an aquarium or decent pet store around should all my fish not successfully make it there or something happen to my filter or tank in the process.

Not even sure where I’ll find substrate for my tortoise now either or the special dietary food my cats are on…Amazon may end up being my only source of supplies for a while since everything seems to be at leasy
Have you traveled with your cats before? Will they be riding in carriers in the car with you?

4 hours isn't much for most cats used to riding somewhere for that long. For newbies to travel, it can be a mind altering experience. And I only say that because we've travelled with 4 different cats in the car or truck, in a camper or in a 5th wheel from Denver to Lake Powell, which could be 9-15 hrs one-way depending on the roads, weather, flat tires, etc. The best way is having the cats travel in cat carriers, preferably individually, & not in the car so you can concentrate on driving.

Letting them run loose is not recommended because cats really do not like to ride in cars, they crawl under seats, your foot pedals, over you, they wail, they drool, throw up, poop & generally let you know how much they hate travel until they wear themselves out. If you stop to get gas or food, they start up all over again when you get back on the road.

I have no idea how to transport live fish & I just got my tort so I've no experience with tort travel yet. I am very experienced in cat travel, however. Their little fur bodies stay pretty toasty in colder weather. If you're in extremely high temps, they need air conditioning or at least fresh air sources. And of course, don't leave them alone in cars in hot temps with the windows up.

Good luck!!

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Have you traveled with your cats before? Will they be riding in carriers in the car with you?

4 hours isn't much for most cats used to riding somewhere for that long. For newbies to travel, it can be a mind altering experience. And I only say that because we've travelled with 4 different cats in the car or truck, in a camper or in a 5th wheel from Denver to Lake Powell, which could be 9-15 hrs one-way depending on the roads, weather, flat tires, etc. The best way is having the cats travel in cat carriers, preferably individually, & not in the car so you can concentrate on driving.

Letting them run loose is not recommended because cats really do not like to ride in cars, they crawl under seats, your foot pedals, over you, they wail, they drool, throw up, poop & generally let you know how much they hate travel until they wear themselves out. If you stop to get gas or food, they start up all over again when you get back on the road.

I have no idea how to transport live fish & I just got my tort so I've no experience with tort travel yet. I am very experienced in cat travel, however. Their little fur bodies stay pretty toasty in colder weather. If you're in extremely high temps, they need air conditioning or at least fresh air sources. And of course, don't leave them alone in cars in hot temps with the windows up.

Good luck!!
I’ve travelled with 3 cats before from Montreal to Toronto when I moved and now I’m moving back with 3 new cats. I used a large dog crate the first time but I don’t have a van this time to hold the crate. 2 of my cats don’t get along so I have to separate them all in different carriers and they’re very anxious cats so I’m nervous for them

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I’ve travelled with 3 cats before from Montreal to Toronto when I moved and now I’m moving back with 3 new cats. I used a large dog crate the first time but I don’t have a van this time to hold the crate. 2 of my cats don’t get along so I have to separate them all in different carriers and they’re very anxious cats so I’m nervous for them
Well covering their cages so they can't see out may calm them down. If the carriers rattle, figure out how to keep them from rattling. You can always try a test drive in advance to see how they behave. No matter how bad they behave in the car, it's like nothing happened 5 minutes later when you get them out of their cages.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Well covering their cages so they can't see out may calm them down. If the carriers rattle, figure out how to keep them from rattling. You can always try a test drive in advance to see how they behave. No matter how bad they behave in the car, it's like nothing happened 5 minutes later when you get them out of their cages.
I’m not too worried for my male cat. I know he’ll be loud but he’ll get over the ordeal quickly. Both my females are rescues and are afraid of EVERYTHING. I’m worried because they already have behavioural issues I’ve worked on over the years that this trip will set them back.
One always hides, my family jokes that she’s imaginary because I’m the only one that ever gets to see her lol luckily she is the most affectionate cat ever and I feel honoured to be the only person to ever receive her love and snuggles
The other one is very skittish and when stressed will pee and poo outside her litter box.

What kind of carriers would you recommend? I don’t own any as the last few years whenever I needed one I just borrowed from my neighbour

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Good luck!!
Great advice Jan...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You put your tortoise in a small box with a lid. The box should be small enuf the tort can't move around. Close the lid and he will go to sleep. Take care of him first thing when you arrive, him and the fish need immediate care. The cats will just be annoying for a while... good luck!

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
You put your tortoise in a small box with a lid. The box should be small enuf the tort can't move around. Close the lid and he will go to sleep. Take care of him first thing when you arrive, him and the fish need immediate care. The cats will just be annoying for a while... good luck!

I know Poe (tortoise) will be easier to set up when I get there because I’m planning on having everything readily available and prioritizing having that brought in first. It’s the fish I’m really stressed over because everyone’s going to be moving and I’ll be trying to get an aquarium going in the middle of all the chaos.
Thinking of asking for fish bags when I’m at Petsmart today

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I know Poe (tortoise) will be easier to set up when I get there because I’m planning on having everything readily available and prioritizing having that brought in first. It’s the fish I’m really stressed over because everyone’s going to be moving and I’ll be trying to get an aquarium going in the middle of all the chaos.
Thinking of asking for fish bags when I’m at Petsmart today
I use the plastic bags from the produce dept at Safeway. Put a couple of fish in each bag, then place all the bags in the aquarium. They will travel best that way. Don't mess with the tort as he'll be sleeping. Your cats will be hollering and screaming all the freakin way. They also need to be confined in cat carriers...Your puppy is in the back seat chewing up your baby's ...hahaha have fun and let us know how it went...

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I use the plastic bags from the produce dept at Safeway. Put a couple of fish in each bag, then place all the bags in the aquarium. They will travel best that way. Don't mess with the tort as he'll be sleeping. Your cats will be hollering and screaming all the freakin way. They also need to be confined in cat carriers...Your puppy is in the back seat chewing up your baby's ...hahaha have fun and let us know how it went...
Luckily I have over a month to prepare lol I don’t think all the animals will be in the same vehicle. Our 8 month old puppy is over 80lb and I’m sure by the time we move he’ll be closer to 100 and not squishing him in a car with cats, fish and a tortoise ? I can only imagine the carnage

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Luckily I have over a month to prepare lol I don’t think all the animals will be in the same vehicle. Our 8 month old puppy is over 80lb and I’m sure by the time we move he’ll be closer to 100 and not squishing him in a car with cats, fish and a tortoise ? I can only imagine the carnage
I'm glad to see you have a good sense of humor...what breed of dog?

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I love them!
I have Simon...7 years old, 35 lbs and 2.5 feet tall...a Main Coon cat
View attachment 332824
and I breed parakeets...
View attachment 332823
I love Maine coons I’ve always wanted one!
Mine are all just domestic short hairs but ones a calico.
those birds look so sweet ?

But here’s the family, all completely unaware of the big move ahead:

Stanley
D37FD3A8-039D-4777-8215-14FAC0AB02BA.jpeg
ED87A01C-525F-4728-A57F-60F9DC044D49.jpeg
Aster (the one that hides)
9AFBDEF5-0031-4896-9161-8022EEB53164.jpeg
Jory (the one that doesn’t give an F)
3133CB6B-6E77-4BA3-868F-D6D5192EF622.jpeg

Rey (the skittish ones)
1B4CE9F8-8ABA-4D09-8BFF-ED6DCDE3B9B3.jpeg

Poe