Moving Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I've been trying to figure out how to build an outside pen for my tort.
I have plenty of ideas, not sure if they're any good.

What I've been thinking (dreaming) is having a slightly raised are off the ground that he can crawl off and on covered by some sort of structure for shade. In the shaded area I would put some tort friendly plants and his food, his water, and a place to hide. Then I'd put up a fence around it, leaving room between it and the shaded area.

Would this work at all if I could figure out how to do it? Any better suggestions? Help appreciated.

:tort:

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
Here's an update.
(Keep in mind we will make it larger as he grows)

We are going to have a five foot square area fenced. The fence will be two to three foot high, with a gate. In a corner, instead of a raised area we are going to just have a shaded area. His water and hide-away and food and stuff will be over there.

I have a few questions also:

Does he need a heat light or something out there for him?
What are some easy to grow plants that are hardy and won't die if I don't water that are safe for torts?
How many plants do you think I can put in the above plan? What is too much and too little?
What do you want to look for in an area for a tort enclosure?

Thanks! :tort:

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
"just do it" is great advice! I'd start digging after it's rained for a couple of days... Be sure you dig deep and get the fencing in good. I didn't use a gate because it's easy to slip out of-- they love to dig. Try making the inside as interesting as possible with organic soil-- so he digs there and not at the edge. I planted a hosta in the middle of mine and they love it for shade, cover and they can eat it too. The hosta blooms every spring now and becomes huge!! It's neat. Have fun with this project - the water container you will use.. Enjoy the process :)!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Depending on your night/day temps, night heating might not be necessary, just the shade as planned during the day.

Nice Redfoot enclosures seem to have a drip system in place. Ideally set on a timer so it can go off a couple of times per day. One emitter can fill the water dish, which sort of helps flush it out.
Have a lot of plants throughout the enclosure to retain moisture. Have you seen TerryO's enclosures? Might not be able to replicate them (we all just admire them), but good ideas.
Scroll down on this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pio-s-garden-before-and-after#axzz1wK67Xp1Q

The gate could work, so you can get 'stuff' in there when you need to. Just plan to have a piece of wood that you can slip in place to prevent escape. If the gate opens out, have the piece of wood (12" ?) on the inside. Most of the time you can step over it, but can occasionally slid it in and out it for servicing, getting a wheelbarrow in, etc.

Have several hides here and there, made of overturned flower pots, concrete pieces stacked up, covered with soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.