Moving to Canada next year

Palas

Location (City and/or State)
M
I have been reading all day about this. So basically I'm screwed iIcant take my little guy with me? :(

Is there any way I can take him in my car with me? I would drive as many hours as necessary .it's just heartbreaking .

Any ideas what can i do? Or where can I leave him? I don't know anyone that would take care of him as much as i do.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yeah I think they see no difference if this is your long time pet or if your just a guy trying to bring a tort to sell it. The rules are very strict. I mean im sure you could just bring him and see what happens maybe they won’t search your car but if they take it I don’t know what would happen to your tort. Im not sure why only tort’s are concerned by this rule as other reptiles are fine. You should call the CAN gov. To ask.

Palas

M
Yeah I think they see no difference if this is your long time pet or if your just a guy trying to bring a tort to sell it. The rules are very strict. I mean im sure you could just bring him and see what happens maybe they won’t search your car but if they take it I don’t know what would happen to your tort. Im not sure why only tort’s are concerned by this rule as other reptiles are fine. You should call the CAN gov. To ask.

I was really confused to snakes, lizards all good but turtles and tortoise a aren't? Why?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Because of salmonela...even if it can be in any reptiles. I know it doesn’t make sense.

Palas

M
It's like saying dogs can't come in because they may have rebies. Cats are cool tho.

Its a stupid rule and I am gonna have to give my little buddy away.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
It's like saying dogs can't come in because they may have rebies. Cats are cool tho.

Its a stupid rule and I am gonna have to give my little buddy away.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...-and-reptiles/eng/1326658752555/1326658911065

Did you file an import permit? You'll need to bring your tortoise with you when you cross the border.

You can also use interstate/one way car rental if you don't own a car. The regulations are stricter but it's not impossible to take your tortoise along. It just requires more steps.

Palas

M
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...-and-reptiles/eng/1326658752555/1326658911065

Did you file an import permit? You'll need to bring your tortoise with you when you cross the border.

You can also use interstate/one way car rental if you don't own a car. The regulations are stricter but it's not impossible to take your tortoise along. It just requires more steps.

Yeah I read that but it says "but will only be issued to zoos and research laboratories."

So it seems we cant file a permit for a pet.

Palas

M
Yes...Welcome to Canada lol. Tortoises are very expensive here

If I can't bring my tortoise to canada I don't plan on buying any more . I will be to heartbroken.

My brother tried to buy a leopard and said it was really expensive

Reptilony

QC, CAN

It’s true that there is a process into importing a tortoise but this has been discussed already on other threads and I believe only zoo’s and research labs can import. I have not heard of anyone succesfully crossing the border with a tortoise in his car...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Yeah I read that but it says "but will only be issued to zoos and research laboratories."

So it seems we cant file a permit for a pet.

That part only refers to turtle and tortoise eggs. It does not specifically say turtles, tortoises and their eggs. Not the same. And it never hurts to try. Why give up if you haven't even received a reply.

A lot of countries including the United States of America have similar procedures for transporting pets into their domain. Be warned that some species of tortoises may not be allowed to be imported into certain countries.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The rules are different if you're bringing in an already owned pet tortoise. Canadians can't buy tortoises in other countries and have them shipped in, but if you're bringing a pet with you into the country, I think it's ok. You need to contact someone to get the scoop.

Import Restrictions for Turtles and Tortoises
The reason for restrictions on turtles, tortoises and their eggs is that there is the risk of transmitting serious diseases, such as Salmonella.

An import permit is required for turtles and tortoises from all countries. The animals must have been in the owner's personal possession in the country of origin and accompany the owner to Canada.

Please complete an Application for Permit to Import at least 30 days before the date the import and send it to a local CFIA office in the province into which you wish to import the animal(s).

An import permit is required for turtle and tortoise eggs from all countries, but will only be issued to zoos and research laboratories.

If I'm reading this correctly, if your animal has been in your personal possession and if he accompanies you to Canada, then you just need an import permit.

Palas

M
The rules are different if you're bringing in an already owned pet tortoise. Canadians can't buy tortoises in other countries and have them shipped in, but if you're bringing a pet with you into the country, I think it's ok. You need to contact someone to get the scoop.

Import Restrictions for Turtles and Tortoises
The reason for restrictions on turtles, tortoises and their eggs is that there is the risk of transmitting serious diseases, such as Salmonella.

An import permit is required for turtles and tortoises from all countries. The animals must have been in the owner's personal possession in the country of origin and accompany the owner to Canada.

Please complete an Application for Permit to Import at least 30 days before the date the import and send it to a local CFIA office in the province into which you wish to import the animal(s).

An import permit is required for turtle and tortoise eggs from all countries, but will only be issued to zoos and research laboratories.

If I'm reading this correctly, if your animal has been in your personal possession and if he accompanies you to Canada, then you just need an import permit.

Thank you, I will call tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can figure something out