MrMarg's eye

MrMarg&me

Location (City and/or State)
Temecula California
MrMarg's one eye appeared slightly irritated on Saturday. Sunday same. Yesterday afternoon I knew definitively there is something wrong. His eye is now closed and he is sleeping in the sun. It is the one eye not both. So maybe he suffered an injury. Is there anything I can do at home? I posted on health here on TF and a member suggested warm soaking. That is a good place to start but is there anything I can do directly with the eye? He closes up tight when handled in any way. We have a reptile vet that Marg has visited. We will go there if necessary. But the vet is quick to Vit A deficiency.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
So I soaked MrMarg in warm water and gently poured water over his head to flush the eye. The eye is better and he now keeps it open normally. I can detect slight puffiness on the lower lid. It is hard to see but it looks as though he has a small rip or there is a tiny wood piece trapped.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's going to be difficult to tend to. But if you want to try with tweezers, take the tortoise out into the sun where the light is very bright. You may only get one chance at it because once he's onto you (after your first attempt) he's not going to put his head out again.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
That's going to be difficult to tend to. But if you want to try with tweezers, take the tortoise out into the sun where the light is very bright. You may only get one chance at it because once he's onto you (after your first attempt) he's not going to put his head out again.
10-4 Good Buddy!!!

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
His eye is now bright and open. I have been able to get a good look at the injury. He has a rip from the corner of his eye effecting the lower lid. It is a bit puffy but much improved. Now how did he manage that one?