Mulch for Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Hello,

I was wondering if organic root mulch would be ok for a Sulcata Tortoise to live on. I know alot of people use cypress mulch, but I wanted to know if organic root mulch from a local outdoor store would be ok. Please let me know because I'm going to switch him out of topsoil.

Thanks-

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know what that stuff is...but you need to get something that is free of fertilizers or any type of chemical...

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Yes this is 100% free of pesticides, fertilizers, or any chemicals. I know all mulch holds humidity well so I'll have to see. I just didn't know if this specific type of mulch would be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What kind of "root" are we talking about? Is it made to help roots or is it made OF roots? This is an unknown. I've never used it. You could be the guinea pig and let us all know. Somebody had to be the first one to try cypress mulch and all the others. I mainly use hardware store stuff as the pet stores only carry small, expensive bags of the same stuff. I like the 3 cubic foot bags of orchid bark for 5 bucks.

M

Maggie Cummings

shelber10 said:
I dont think you should use mulch try eco earth it looks similar to mulch but its for reptiles heres a picture

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_261602_15848.jpg

I use mulch and have for quite a while. My sister also uses it, there's nothing wrong with cypress mulch. I don't personally like eco earth. I don't like how it sticks to the food and sticks all over the tortoises. Don't like it and won't use it. I don't like anything that sticks to the food.

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Roachman26 said:
What kind of "root" are we talking about? Is it made to help roots or is it made OF roots? This is an unknown. I've never used it. You could be the guinea pig and let us all know. Somebody had to be the first one to try cypress mulch and all the others. I mainly use hardware store stuff as the pet stores only carry small, expensive bags of the same stuff. I like the 3 cubic foot bags of orchid bark for 5 bucks.

I'm was going to the garden store to see if they had any cypress mulch in stock but it was only cedar. Then the guy showed me root mulch and he said that it is made from roots so I'll have to see. I'll try it out and let everyone know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.