Mushrooms growing in enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines
About a week ago I changed the substrate in my enclosures. I do a top soil/coco coir mix. Today I walk outside to feed and water them and there are these little weird mushrooms growing in the enclosures. About 2 inches tall and really skinny with little tops. There was also so fuzzy mold on some left over mazuri. This was not there last night it just showed up between last night and this morning. I freaked alittle and got it out as fast as I could before thinking to take any pictures. I live in south florida and its been very rainy thus making my enclosures extra humid since they are outside. Does anyone know what I am talking about? And is this something I can get rid of or is it something that is very harmful to my torts? I had to go out of town for the night but will be back tomorrow and can try to fix it. Any suggestions will help! Thanks guys :]

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
not sure here but giving throwing in some thoughts...top soil is full of decaying/decayed organic stuff...mushrooms grow from decaying/decayed organic stuff, right? or maybe I'm not, lol...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You might post some pics for identification purposes to see if it is harmful. Mine is full of tiny little ones called birdsnest fungi. It just grows in the organic soil and my tortoises seem to ignore it.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Pretty freaky, might be fungi type of mushrooms i wouldnt tolerate any type of mushroom lol so i'd say out with it

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
It is definatey from the soil because the same day I changed the soil in there enclosures I planted some grasses by my turtle pond and the same mushrooms are growing there too. If I catch them while they are open tomorrow I will take a pic, they open n the morning and close in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.