Mushrooms?

splntrdhands

In my enclosure completely off the ground and filled with cypress mulch and potting soil I noticed this morning 2 mushrooms that have grown next to where the cuttlebone is. When I mist the enclosure, the cuttlebone gets wet and I'm sure overtime gets smaller and smaller as it's washed away. Just wondering if any of you have seen anything like this and if it's safe for the torts. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400253892.035072.jpg

splntrdhands

I'm curious as to how they got there. You think the damp, humidity filled enclosure with the melting calcium into the soil caused something to germinate?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Mushrooms are one of those fun, primitive life forms. Reproducing with spores. These spores could have come in on your hand, bit of clothing, or even just been present in the substrate dormant, waiting for the correct environment. Typically, they will have a fine, spiderweb of runners underground. You may want to remove a 3"-4" circle if substrate to try and get it all out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Mushrooms can be very difficult to ID and some of the harmless ones look an awful lot like some of the deadly toxic ones. Pull them out as soon as you see them. I like Ken's suggestion too.