Mvb bulb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

codyv34

5 Year Member
right now i have repti glo 10.0 tube type bulb providing me with my Uv needs, but after reading threads on here I get more and more worried about the safety and effectiveness of this bulb. I was told about Mvb which i plan on upgrading to, now i spent 25 on my repti glo and another 10 on my basking bulb, both which i dont think i could return now. rather then spending another 60 dollars on the zoo meds bulb, i rather get the exo terra solar glo bulb, which i can get for 30 dollars. Well my main question is is that still a quality bulb to use. 2) do you recommend upgrading sooner then later or would it be ok for me to get some use out of what i already purchased, and then upgrade

thanks, Cody

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Amazon sells zoo med powersun MVB's for ~$45. They provide a 1-year warranty, this is likely why they cost more. If it burns out before 1yr, they replace it. You pay for the quality if you can afford the extra $15, I'd get a powersun. Read reviews of both products and try polling people here to see what they use & have liked/disliked...?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
The coil uv bulbs are the harmful ones. If you bought your bulbs from petsmart they will return them, petco doesnt allow returns of their bulbs unless you get someone that is nice behind the counter. I use the Zoomed MVB and so far i wouldnt switch for anything, i can get them for 40 dollars and if you send in your warranty card their is no worrying about your 40 dollar bulb blowing up and you being out. I cant say about the exo terra mvb but i have heard they are good also.

codyv34

5 Year Member
i have only had them up for a few days so i didnt feel like i really made the bulbs considered "used" but i wasnt sure if they would take them back. i would like to keep the basking bulb as spare, incase of burn out, etc. so then i can use it as a temp bulb, but i think ill try returning the repti glo, after i get some more input/ research in thanks for you responses :)

EKLC

5 Year Member
The compact flourescent bulbs are (possibly were) the dangerous ones. They used a different phosphor to try and get more UVB out of a smaller bulb, but this also caused the bulbs to release high-energy UVB, and even UVC which was causing the photokeratinosis. Not to mention the fact that reflective domes amplified the UVB output and animals would get too close to them, since flourescents are not visually bright enough to deter them. Apparently Zoo Med at least has replaced this phosphor, called the phototherapy phosphor, on their compact flourescents.

The tube type flourescent UVB bulbs are safe, though some question their effectiveness in preventing metabolic bone disease. If your tortoise receives very little natural sunlight, then perhaps you should consider a MVB. However, I'm happy with my ReptiSun 10.0, as it eats less energy, covers a broader areas with a nice diffuse range, and burns out less frequently. But my tortoise gets sun a few times a week.

codyv34

5 Year Member
well i live in Wisconsin, so there a month out of the year that i can't take my tort out side, so a mvb would be a good idea for me. My biggest concern though is the safety of the bulb, but it seems that i dont have to worry about that. thank you everyone for you help.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I use powersuns, and have had no problems. Whatever you buy, just make sure that it's NOT MEGARAY.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Megaray bulbs put out some really impressive numbers.. I have been running quite a few of there bulbs for close to 6 month... And at 6 month at 36" I'm still over 300 micro watts.... There are not to many bulbs out there that can produce that much UVB at 12" let alone 36"..

Status
Not open for further replies.