Mvb bulb for sulcata hatchling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Anyone know if the Exo Terra Solar Glo 160W Mvb UVB Reptile Bulb is any good?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
160 may be a little hot. Make sure you have room to raise it if you need to. Seems a lot of people have problems with them blowing. I use the Zoo Med PowerSun UVB 100 Watt. I haven't had a problems with them.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
wellington said:
160 may be a little hot. Make sure you have room to raise it if you need to. Seems a lot of people have problems with them blowing. I use the Zoo Med PowerSun UVB 100 Watt. I haven't had a problems with them.
i actually have both in service right now, the 125w version solar glow though. As of now, neither had blown, but the solar glow does get way warmer, depending on enclosure size and ventilation, i wouldn't use anything higher then a 100W, a 125W for me keeps a 55 gallon with screen to at an even 98 degrees warm side, and 106 basking.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks guys! I like to get everyone's opinion on here before I actually buy anything, I've gotten the wrong thing a few times and I'm tired of taking things back lol (ie the Exo terra 5 26w compact florescent) I actually took it back twice in 2 days because the girl who sold it to me the day before told me that she's never heard that they could be dangerous and that tortoise forum members "over react" and are a bit "extreme" lol... So I took it back home, discussed it w/a few people here and decided I wasn't taking any chances. Especially since he's >2 weeks old (he still has his egg tooth). Everyone here is so helpful and friendly. U guys always give me excellent advice, then back it up w/ facts and personal experiences... I totally trust everyone and couldn't be more thankful, u guys are awesome! I honestly wouldn't know what I'd do w/o u! =)

DeanS said:
It doesn't matter how hot it is as long as your basking temp is 120 or below. Hatchlings tend to move towards shelter...i.e. hides, etc. I personally use the ZooMed Powersun...but have never heard anything bad about the Exo Terra.

Here's a link to Mark's library...give it a go!

https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/lighting-1

Just read the link u provided. Thank u, it was unbelievably easy to follow. It answered so many questions for me... Thanks again guys =)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Even though I believe coil type bulbs (I can only vouch for zoo med, and frankly, are the only brand I buy) are fine when mounted properly, I don't think there's anything "extreme" or "overreacting" about not wanting your baby tortoise to have permanent eye damage.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Mgridgaway said:
Even though I believe coil type bulbs (I can only vouch for zoo med, and frankly, are the only brand I buy) are fine when mounted properly, I don't think there's anything "extreme" or "overreacting" about not wanting your baby tortoise to have permanent eye damage.

Exactly... When I brought it back the 2nd time, I told her that id rather not risk blinding my tortoise (since he's my first and I don't want to make any deadly mistakes) I brought him home, so I'm responsible for his health and safety. She gave me one of those "ok, whatever u say" looks and refunded me my money lol... Oh well, I tried being nice about it, but in the end, it's just not worth it to me... I have always gotten the best support and advice from everyone here, and she only looked like she was about 21, most of the people here have been raising tortoises much longer than that, so I totally trust any information I learn here... Like I said, if it wasn't for this forum, I'd b waist deep in all the conflicting info out there, and all that does is make me even more confused... No, I'd take u guys over Petco or Petsmart any day =)

Cundy89

5 Year Member
The Arcadia mvb light Which I use in mine in the UK is fantastic. Highly recommended

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
As far as MVBs go, my recommendation is the Powersun. I think the lower wattage 125 wtts should be adequate, but a temperature gun will tell if you need to go larger.
--------

Personally, in light of recent studies regarding basking lights, and how to keep hatchling/young tortoises (sulcatas specifically), I would opt more for a ceramic heat emitter bulb that you can leave on 24/7 in order to keep the temps more or less constant. Simply use a conventional tube fluorescent light fixture for your UVB lighting needs (I like the 5.0 bulbs from either Exo-Terra or ZooMed) that can stay on for about 12 hours a day.
----