Sun Force MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Hi
I saw in another thread that said the Sun Force MVB produces much more UV then other MVB's. Just wondering if anyone uses them, and wanted to get some feedback. I am thinking of switching from the exo terra solar glo.
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm in the market for a new MVB too, so I'll be watching this thread for comparisons.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
OH Mark...where are you? Your genius is needed!:D

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I am switching to from the Power sun to Sun force I will let you know about it when it comes in

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I know of a couple of people who have tested these new Sun force MVBs. Now whether this is accurate info or not, I am not sure.

The new sun force put out between 150-220 Microwatts per square cm (uW/cm2). Average sunny day in the US is between 150-300 uW/cm2.

The people that have tested this have said that it did have a very good output at the start, but after a couple of weeks. The readings went all the way down to 15-25 uW/cm2. Which is about the equiv of the 5.0 tube lights.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Seiryu said:
I know of a couple of people who have tested these new Sun force MVBs. Now whether this is accurate info or not, I am not sure.

The new sun force put out between 150-220 Microwatts per square cm (uW/cm2). Average sunny day in the US is between 150-300 uW/cm2.

The people that have tested this have said that it did have a very good output at the start, but after a couple of weeks. The readings went all the way down to 15-25 uW/cm2. Which is about the equiv of the 5.0 tube lights.

Wow, very disappointing. Maybe I will go with the Powersun.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have to quit forgetting, there was something in the last TSA issue that they recommended. I have to remember to look it up when I get home. Remember remember remember remember!

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
kyryah said:
I have to quit forgetting, there was something in the last TSA issue that they recommended. I have to remember to look it up when I get home. Remember remember remember remember!

Did you forget? ;)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Looks like the Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat is still a better option, plus has a longer track record and more data...I'd love to see some new data on those though. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm says they will have some new data up this month. I'm interested to see how the Powersun does vs. Mega Ray & T-Rex. Yay!

I'm planning to replace my MVB closer to 6 months than 12 because my tort really perks up when I do this...anecdotal (I don't have a UV meter although I could borrow one from my vet), but data with how fast even the good MVBs decay is out there. I have read that the first hour or two you turn on a MVB you shouldn't have the tort under it because its actually too strong...I wonder if that is when some of these cheaper bulb manufacturers test their bulbs (so they are measuring artificially high).

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
tortoisenerd said:
Looks like the Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat is still a better option, plus has a longer track record and more data...I'd love to see some new data on those though. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm says they will have some new data up this month. I'm interested to see how the Powersun does vs. Mega Ray & T-Rex. Yay!

I'm planning to replace my MVB closer to 6 months than 12 because my tort really perks up when I do this...anecdotal (I don't have a UV meter although I could borrow one from my vet), but data with how fast even the good MVBs decay is out there. I have read that the first hour or two you turn on a MVB you shouldn't have the tort under it because its actually too strong...I wonder if that is when some of these cheaper bulb manufacturers test their bulbs (so they are measuring artificially high).

I was originally looking to order a Mega Ray, but they have been on back order forever, and I have heard a lot of mixed reviews lately. I am also panning to replace my MVB every 6 months, especially because I leave it on 12 hours/day. I could probably do with replacing it sooner! A UV meter would definitely be a plus, and hope to aquire one in the future.
Thanks for the link, I will check it out now!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I had ordered two Mega Rays a few months back and they finally shipped a couple weeks ago...I think if you wanted to order now, it wouldn't be that long (they are catching up on filling orders). They are tested to put out "sufficient" UVB for 12 hours a day for 12 months, but yes, its a lot less output at 12 months than when you turn it on.

Care to share about the mixed reviews? I'm always curious to read both sides of things. Thanks!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
I had ordered two Mega Rays a few months back and they finally shipped a couple weeks ago...I think if you wanted to order now, it wouldn't be that long (they are catching up on filling orders). They are tested to put out "sufficient" UVB for 12 hours a day for 12 months, but yes, its a lot less output at 12 months than when you turn it on.

Care to share about the mixed reviews? I'm always curious to read both sides of things. Thanks!

The new megaray and t-rex will be different bulbs this time around from what I remember reading and hearing. So saying they are the best right now isn't something anyone can say.

Unless they changed this anyways.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was just at Petsmart and they have Exoterra Solar Glo MVB for $39.99 and a 100 watt Zoo Med Power Sun MVB for $79.99

I didn't get one because I figured I could beat that price, even with shipping, online.

So, have we reached a consensus yet? What bulb should I buy? Should I wait until the new T-Rex bulb comes out?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
emysemys said:
I was just at Petsmart and they have Exoterra Solar Glo MVB for $39.99 and a 100 watt Zoo Med Power Sun MVB for $79.99

I didn't get one because I figured I could beat that price, even with shipping, online.

So, have we reached a consensus yet? What bulb should I buy? Should I wait until the new T-Rex bulb comes out?

I would say wait if you can for http://www.uvguide.co.uk/ to finish their testing. Supposed to be done this month, but they have been going for at least 2 months now with the "updating".

Right now I think any of the MVBs are better than the tube lights. Not because all of the MVB necessarily give off more UVB after use, but because most reptiles tend to bask longer than go under their UVB tube lights. Especially if you have a bigger enclosure.

Yvonne- I have heard the Solar glo's are hit and miss. Some give off very good UVB, and some give off next to none. I'm just sticking with my 10.0s though for now. Because I have them already and haven't noticed a slow down at all yet with using them.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with Rob that if you can, wait. Seems pretty up in the air right now due to all the redesigns and lack of data. I hope I won't be disappointed that I just bought 2 Mega Rays. Online seems to beat store prices and selection for MVBs every time. Only time I'd get bulbs from a pet store is say I want to test out different CHE wattages. I did end up buying a back up MVB from Petco (and returned it within a month) when I left Trevor with a sitter while we were on vacation....that close to $90 price with tax was a shocker as I'm used to paying around $50 online.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia

[/quote]

Just saw from a few people on this forum something about bulbs blowing, and negative experiences with the company (reptile uv). Pretty sure I've heard other stuff, but can't think of it at the moment...having said that, it does sound like they are the most tested of the MVB's.

thanks everyone for the imput. I wish we didn't have to wait for the testing; I am slightly impatient:D

Status
Not open for further replies.