MVB not reaching temperature!

Ellie:)

Location (City and/or State)
Tyne and Wear
Hi,

I'm currently using the attached bulb for my 8 month old horsfield and I've read lots of good reviews about it but for someone reason, at 12inches above the tortoise is it only reaching about 25 degrees centigrade. I'm scared to put it any closer in case it burns him.

Would any one advise that? Or should I buy a halogen bulb to use with my MVB to get the right heat output?

bulb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's probably something wrong with that bulb. I know it's expensive, but if it were me and my tortoise, I'd take that bulb back to where I bought it and exchange it for a new one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You really ought to use a UV meter and test the UV levels under your bulb. This is the only way to know what is happening under there.

12" seems very close and UV burns are certainly possible, so in your case adding another regular incandescent bulb to get the basking temperature up a little might be the best solution.

How are you measuring the basking temp? With what device and where?

Ellie:)

Tyne and Wear
I measure the basking temperature with a digital thermometer and hold it directly under the middle of the lamp, roughly where the top of Winston's shell would be and at the highest temp it's about 26-27 degrees.