MVB conundrum!

Anna!

5 Year Member
I have a 3mo Sulcata and am trying to best to get her enclosure as perfect as possible. I have an MVB for her and I read that it needs to be no farther away than 12 inches in order for her to benefit from the UVA/UVB rays, however if I put it any closer than about 15 inches it heats up the space underneath it to 110+ degrees. I currently have it at about 16 inches and it is registering 105 directly below. My concern is that it is now too far away for her to benefit from the UVA/UVB rays. What do I do? Do I need to get a less powerful bulb? Or am I being a crazy new tortoise mom and worrying too much?
Thanks!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you can tell the forum which brand and the wattage of your bulb. You will get answers that are more specific to your situation.

Welcome to the forum.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Sorry! I didn't even think about including that information. Shows what a newbie I am! It is a SunForce 70watt MVB.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Where did you read the part about it needing to be no more than 12 inches away? Most bulbs I'm familiar with recommend 12 inches as the minimum. I think 15-20 inches is the standard height, though it'd be best if you could test the UV output. Do you have a screen over you enclosure?

Anna!

5 Year Member
I have no idea where I read that, I have been on so many sites looking up info! I don't have a screen over the enclosure but I have a cage thing. It's hard to explain. I'll post a pic so you understand what I mean. The high one is the MVB and gets removed at night so I can put the cover on to keep more heat in. image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should adjust your bulb for the proper heat first and foremost.

I'm not familiar with those bulbs. Where are you and where did you find that bulb?

The only way to know what the output of any UV source is to measure it. The same bulbs can give different results in different enclosures.

I like these meters: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The instructions for that bulb says 18 inches minimum if you don't have a screen.

Anna!

5 Year Member
I got it on amazon and apparently I read everything I could find except for the instructions for that specific bulb! Now I feel silly! :) Thanks everyone!