My 9-10 month old Sulcata

ForTortel

5 Year Member
Hey guys I am new to this forums, I heard about this forums and looked up information on how to take care of my sulcata. I bought a Sulcata tortoise at the beginning of this year, I received him on February 2013 as a hatchling. I walk him outside once a day under the sun for like 20 min to an hour, feed him hibiscus leaves, weeds in my yard (unfertilized of course). And I recently bought a heat lamp UVB light on August. Yea I know it was kinda late. I bathe him once a day for 15 minutes with warm water. I have St. Augustine grass but he doesn't seem to like it probably its because he is still young and its too hard for him to eat it.

I'm also wondering about his looks for being 10 months old. My mouse and phone is there for a rule of thumb. Not sure if he is pyramiding or not. Or if he is malnourished. Or not growing much. I really want to raise him properly but simply by just doing research isn't enough. I need feedback as well. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1533[2].JPG
    IMG_1533[2].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 129

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). He looks pretty good too me. If you can get him outside everyday for sun, you don't need artificial UVB. He is pyramiding a little, so, read Toms threads below in my post and get him set up with the correct temps and humidity and he will start to grow smooth. Add as much variety to his diet as possible and let him eat as much as he wants. Also, soak him in warm water everyday for 20-30 minutes and have water available to him 24/7.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please be sure to read all the "important threads" at the top of the sulcata section. Your baby has started to pyramid and that is usually from not being kept moist/humid enough.

ForTortel

5 Year Member
Do you guys have any suggestions on how to keep him moist. I'm not sure about how to do that :C. Do I just leave a bowl of water for him at his home?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] have you explored the rest of the forum yet? The are great ideas on how to set his enclosure on keeping him moist and warm. The Sulcata Section tells you all about it.