My baby has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
My girlfriend and I took Leroy Brown out with a spread of collards, escarole, cactus blossoms, and mazuri. He sat uncomfortably in front of the spread that we hoped would trigger his appetite again. He moved a few feet into the shade and began blowing large bubbles out of his nose and mouth. We rushed him back inside and I called the emergency vet. He began pulling into his shell. The vet asked me some husbandry question as my girlfriend realized that he was no longer responsive and that this was really it. I hung up on the vet and my GF fell to the floor sobbing. It as very surreal seeing this happen. I have spent the past 1 and half years with my tortoise, and my daily life is intricately connected with his. We would spend an hour outside each day. Over the past 7 months he has been sick and I would have done anything to make him well again. I fed him by hand every day, twice a day. But still even then, I would see his face looking up at me every morning during his soak and outside trip. I will miss him very much.

Here is a video from his spry grazing days last July (click the video)

We bought him from a reptile shop, and chose him because he looked particularly sad in a dry, multi-species tank. Next time I'm in a reptile shop, I won't hesitate to give the owner a piece of my mind if they're running a bad operation.

I'm going to have a little funeral on the prairie. In the future I will rescue an older tortoise I think.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry to hear, I know how hard you worked on him. My condolences.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Evan...I'm so sorry. This is always a very hard pill to swallow.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
so very sorry.. (hugs) to you and your GF... I know, in the futrure another one will find you and you will do great by them.. an older established one, might be a good idea.. or even a rescue..
so sorry for the loss now...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry for you and the GF. I hope others can learn from your situation... Thank you for sharing.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
So sorry get your loss!.you did everything you could.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the comments, it definitely helps

We had a little funeral out on the prairie. It was a smokey day from wild fires. We chose an area under the open skies. heres the scenery

P4080089.jpg

P4080091.jpg

P4080090.jpg

We marked the grave with a cactus blossom. They're in bloom in the pine forest next to this prairie where the gopher tortoises roam (dont worry, no gopher torts in this part, so theres no risk of infecting them with anything)
P4080092.jpg

P4080086.jpg

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were a wonderful, very caring caretaker. You did everything you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.