sick baby leopard tortoise

aj_fetterman

Hi everyone, I got a four month old leopard tortoise hatchling about three weeks ago. He started off eating really well and very active for a baby. Over the past three or four days, he has gotten extremely lethargic and has stopped eating. After being very concerned I took him to the vet today and after he was X-rayed we determined he must have an upper respiratory infection. After we got home I gave him his medicine and he threw up a large, black, slimy blob. Is this normal for an upper respiratory infection or should I take him back to investigate something else? Also, my question is how have other peoples tortoises been with an upper respiratory infection? have they mostly lived? my vet gave me an oral antibiotic to give the tort every day. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sorry to hear your baby is sick. I have not dealt with a sick tort,knock on wood, but I have never heard of that happening. @Yvonne G migbt be able to help your further. Good luck

Kasia

Poland
Hi everyone, I got a four month old leopard tortoise hatchling about three weeks ago. He started off eating really well and very active for a baby. Over the past three or four days, he has gotten extremely lethargic and has stopped eating. After being very concerned I took him to the vet today and after he was X-rayed we determined he must have an upper respiratory infection. After we got home I gave him his medicine and he threw up a large, black, slimy blob. Is this normal for an upper respiratory infection or should I take him back to investigate something else? Also, my question is how have other peoples tortoises been with an upper respiratory infection? have they mostly lived? my vet gave me an oral antibiotic to give the tort every day. Thanks!
That black slimy blob is probably blood. I would go back, he needs immediate Vet attention. URI is treatable but I would guess that in this case is something more serious. For hatchling every second counts, they go down fast. Vet ASAP. Until keep him warm and hydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. We'll need more info to offer any help:

1. Where are you?
2. Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started?
3. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
4. What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve and maintain those temps?
5. What are you feeding the tortoise?
6. What size and type enclosure?
7. What substrate?

aj_fetterman

Hello and welcome. We'll need more info to offer any help:

1. Where are you? I am in southeastern Michigan
2. Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started? I got him from a reptile convention where he was said to be well started
3. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? basking temperature is 93, ambient temperature is 87, overnight is the same minus about 5 degrees.
4. What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve and maintain those temps? using a full spectrum uvb fixture and a 75 watt intense basking bulb
5. What are you feeding the tortoise? feeding him all kinds of greens(dandelion, mustard, collars, and turnip)
6. What size and type enclosure?he is in a 3x3 wooden tortoise table i made myself
7. What substrate?reptibark mixed with coconut husk

Kasia

Poland
How is he? What RH% is in your enclosure? Is it an open top or closed chamber type enclosure?