need help with my 1 and half yrs old Leopard Tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hi Tom, is it normal for tortoise to pee everyday? he seem like to pees a lot now. and Vet give me some gentamicin sulfate for his nose last time and told me come back it he got worse.

Yes. If they are drinking and getting soaked daily, its normal to pee a lot.

bentley

Los Angeles CA
update on my tortoise, been giving him gentamicin sulfate for 2.5 weeks then stopped. he was getting better but a week later the running nose came back again and now he can only breath though one of the nostrils now. also I notice his eyelid doesn't look normal here is a picture I took. I'm thinking about taking him back to the vet now. but the vet is really expensive!
cBcJok
cBcJok
thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

bentley

Los Angeles CA
Yes. If they are drinking and getting soaked daily, its normal to pee a lot.
update on my tortoise, been giving him gentamicin sulfate for 2.5 weeks then stopped. he was getting better but a week later the running nose came back again and now he can only breath though one of the nostrils now. also I notice his eyelid doesn't look normal here is a picture I took. I'm thinking about taking him back to the vet now. but the vet is really expensive!
cBcJok
cBcJok

zovick

10 Year Member!
cBcJok
cBcJok

I think your tortoise needs to have injections of Fortaz (generic name is ceftazidime) every other day for 10 days (5 total injections). That will do a lot more good than using the gentamycin drops you mentioned. Also, I believe that ophthalmic drops containing polymyxin B, dexamethasone, and Neomycin should be put into the tortoise's eyes AND nostrils twice daily over that 10 day period while it is receiving the ceftazidime.

Good luck.

zovick

10 Year Member!
cBcJok
cBcJok

You need to go to a good exotics vet. There is a very good one that I know at VCA in Los Angeles. Seek her out and tell her I referred you. Here is her info:

Laila M. Proença, MV, DVM, MS, PhD

Director of the Exotic Animal Medicine Program

VCA Animal Hospitals, 12401 W. Olympic Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90064, 1 (800) 966-1822

Associate Veterinarian at the Avian & Exotics Department

VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital, 1900 S Sepulveda Blvd,

Los Angeles, CA 90025 (310) 473-2951

bentley

Los Angeles CA
You need to go to a good exotics vet. There is a very good one that I know at VCA in Los Angeles. Seek her out and tell her I referred you. Here is her info:

Laila M. Proença, MV, DVM, MS, PhD

Director of the Exotic Animal Medicine Program

VCA Animal Hospitals, 12401 W. Olympic Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90064, 1 (800) 966-1822

Associate Veterinarian at the Avian & Exotics Department

VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital, 1900 S Sepulveda Blvd,

Los Angeles, CA 90025 (310) 473-2951
Ok, I will contact them. thank you.