sick baby red foot

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I have a 5 month old baby red foot who has an upper respiratory problem. I bought him when he was three months old. I took it to the vet last Saturday and they found out he had parasites that caused him to become debilitated and subsequently caused an upper respiratory infection. He was put on medication for the parasites and that has improved. On Tuesday, he was back at the vet to get meds for upper respiratory. The vet put him on azithromycin. She told me to keep him in a small area and keep it hot 80-90 and humid 80-90%. I have him in a twenty gallon long fish tank and had problems keeping the humidity at 80-90% so i bought a fogger. That made him worse. Now the vet said just to keep his habitat sprayed down. The humidity gauge only registers 70%. I am very confused because people are telling me to take him out of the fish tank and put him in a turtle tub. I think I would even have more problems keeping the right temps and humidity if I do this. Any feedback would help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
While that fish tank wont be great for very long. It IS ok for right now. I raised my baby RF in a 29 gallon for a whole year, with some time spent out doors.
You will have to close off most of the top of the tank to help keep in the humidity. And you will need suitable substrate such as Orchid bark or Coir with a layer of compost or soil on top. Water the substrate in the corners and the Bark..or coir will absorb it, leaving the top layer dry but supplying you with needed humidity. Also, a digital temp and humidity gauge can be purchased fro under $20 and will give you very accurate readings.
Temps should be between 80 and 90 for a baby Redfoot in my opinion and use a good quality UVB and heat lamp, such as a mercury vapor type. DO NOT buy or use any bulb that is coil shaped.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What are the temps? If your temperatures are under 80 and you have a high humidity percentage, then I would boost the temperatures.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You'd get more help if you posted pics, believe me.

Wishes for your tort to get well soon and.....

a very warm welcome to the forum.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
While that fish tank wont be great for very long. It IS ok for right now. I raised my baby RF in a 29 gallon for a whole year, with some time spent out doors.
You will have to close off most of the top of the tank to help keep in the humidity. And you will need suitable substrate such as Orchid bark or Coir with a layer of compost or soil on top. Water the substrate in the corners and the Bark..or coir will absorb it, leaving the top layer dry but supplying you with needed humidity. Also, a digital temp and humidity gauge can be purchased fro under $20 and will give you very accurate readings.
Temps should be between 80 and 90 for a baby Redfoot in my opinion and use a good quality UVB and heat lamp, such as a mercury vapor type. DO NOT buy or use any bulb that is coil shaped.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I have him on coconut coir with a layer of sphagnum moss. It is moist but not wet. The tank screen top is 75 % covered with towels. The humidity gauge is only reading 60%. I don't know what else I can do about the humidity. I don't have a digital gauge. I have just the dial gauges. I guess i will have to buy one. I will get rid of my coil uvb bulb and buy a mercury vapor bulb.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
temp is 80 in warm spot 75 on cool side. There is also a heat mat under the tank on warm so it is very likely warmer on the substrate. humidity is only 70% after misting

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
temp is 80 in warm spot 75 on cool side. There is also a heat mat under the tank on warm so it is very likely warmer on the substrate. humidity is only 70% after misting

Boost the overall temperature by 5 degrees in my opinion . Also when you get that digital hygrometer to read both temp and humidity, make sure you put it at substrate level. Those gauges can be very inaccurate and I bet the incorrect temperatures are contributing to the RI.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Boost the overall temperature by 5 degrees in my opinion . Also when you get that digital hygrometer to read both temp and humidity, make sure you put it at substrate level. Those gauges can be very inaccurate and I bet the incorrect temperatures are contributing to the RI.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
i will get the digital gauge and lower it towards the substrate. I have it approximately mid level in the tank right now.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Diane, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Your baby is very beautiful.
I agree, it is almost certainly the temps and humidity that are to blame.