My baby red ear slider keeps burying himself.

Listy Rayne

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I have a tiny red ear slider. I have him in a tank with water to swim in. It’s heated to about 78F. He has a sandy hill, a log, and a live plant in a pot. The sandy hill surrounds the pot. I have a heat lamp with UVB. Tiny keeps burying himself at the roots of the plant and won’t do anything. Should I be worried?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Do you have pictures of the tank? Babies like to hide a lot so I'd think it is normal. Is he eating normally?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Please send some pictures of the tortoise and enclosure when you can, thanks.

Listy Rayne

Louisiana
Hi and welcome. Please send some pictures of the tortoise and enclosure when you can, thanks.
Hi, I’m not sure if these are good. It’s a ten gallon aquarium. I have larger for as he grows. I have live plants, a filter, a heater in the water, and a heat lamp. I think I may need a better heat lamp. He is swimming in this pic, because I just cleaned the tank and put him back in. He spends most of his time buried at the roots of the plants on the land area. I feed him zoo med aquatic turtle food hatchling formula. The water looks cloudy, because I stirred up the sand when cleaning. I did a complete water change.

Attachments

• IMG_5405.jpeg
    IMG_5405.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5406.jpeg
    IMG_5406.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Listy Rayne

Louisiana
Do you have pictures of the tank? Babies like to hide a lot so I'd think it is normal. Is he eating normally?
Hi, I’m not sure if these are good. It’s a ten gallon aquarium. I have larger for as he grows. I have live plants, a filter, a heater in the water, and a heat lamp. I think I may need a better heat lamp. He is swimming in this pic, because I just cleaned the tank and put him back in. He spends most of his time buried at the roots of the plants on the land area. I feed him zoo med aquatic turtle food hatchling formula. The water looks cloudy, because I stirred up the sand when cleaning. I did a complete water change.

Attachments

• IMG_5406.jpeg
    IMG_5406.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5405.jpeg
    IMG_5405.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Listy Rayne

Louisiana
He’s actually been swimming and basking under the lamp today. I haven’t seen him this active since I got him. Maybe he’s getting used to his environment.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hiding in the water at that size is pretty common. You could try putting in some plastic plants to hide among for them to feel even more secure. Do you have plans for when they outgrow the 10 gallon tank? It happens pretty quick. Good luck!

Listy Rayne

Louisiana
Hiding in the water at that size is pretty common. You could try putting in some plastic plants to hide among for them to feel even more secure. Do you have plans for when they outgrow the 10 gallon tank? It happens pretty quick. Good luck!
I have a 50 gallon waiting. I’ll have to buy bigger after that. I’ll get some plastic plants for the water. Thanks for the suggestion.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is the "heat lamp" a UV lamp? And I am not sure he would get UV through the mesh.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Yeah I think it is fine and normal. As he gets older he'll start to be more brave, hiding less and venturing out more. Just provide a lot of plants or fake plants so he feels comfortable.