my baby sulcata swollen ?? help lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I was on a thread earlier and someone told me that my sulcata Gupta looked swollen , I panicked a little. What does everyone else think ? attachment.jpegattachment-1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I have no idea but this is the 2nd time I have seen a swollen Sully this week. What has it been eating? I will find and post the other swollen sulcata thread so you can see if there are any similarities.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
Definitely looks swollen in the first pic, I have never seen it before this week. Good luck with your little guy.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
I have no idea but this is the 2nd time I have seen a swollen Sully this week. What has it been eating? I will find and post the other swollen sulcata thread so you can see if there are any similarities.

Thanks so much and I feed him zoo med grassland for

jbean7916

5 Year Member
I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in these diets like the Zoo Med and the Monsterdiet that the other poster were using that is causing gas? Both of them look bloated on the underside.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ion-swelled-up-look-at-pictures#axzz1bExIZUcu

The link is posted above. I don't know if you are anywhere near the above poster but I was wondering if you used the same breeder? Hope this help's best of luck!!

He isn't as swollen as that one but he is a little swollen, I soak him a lot and keep his enclosure very humid now. I think I need to feed him more fresh greens and some pumpkin instead of just zoo med grassland formula. I will give a good long soak again when I get home and some pumpkin and fresh greens. My problem is I dont know where to go to get fresh things for him to eat. My Walmart is very limited, any suggestions I would love. Online places maybe to order food

jbean7916 said:
I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in these diets like the Zoo Med and the Monsterdiet that the other poster were using that is causing gas? Both of them look bloated on the underside.

That's very possible , I'm going to start feeding that to him only twice a week and all the rest I will switch it fresh greens. Is there some online source where u can buy greens and fresh produce with a good selection because the Walmart near me has almost nothing

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
BrinnANDGupta said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ion-swelled-up-look-at-pictures#axzz1bExIZUcu

The link is posted above. I don't know if you are anywhere near the above poster but I was wondering if you used the same breeder? Hope this help's best of luck!!

He isn't as swollen as that one but he is a little swollen, I soak him a lot and keep his enclosure very humid now. I think I need to feed him more fresh greens and some pumpkin instead of just zoo med grassland formula. I will give a good long soak again when I get home and some pumpkin and fresh greens. My problem is I dont know where to go to get fresh things for him to eat. My Walmart is very limited, any suggestions I would love. Online places maybe to order food

jbean7916 said:

That's very possible , I'm going to start feeding that to him only twice a week and all the rest I will switch it fresh greens. Is there some online source where u can buy greens and fresh produce with a good selection because the Walmart near me has almost nothing

http://www.sulcatafood.com/Store.html is where I bought seed for my 1 month olds, it grows very quickly (maybe 4-5 days) and they absolutely love grazing in it. When it gets to long I cut it and put it in a ziploc in the fridge and add it into there indoor enclosure :] goodluck

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The shell does look swollen this is the second one we have seen and if I am not mistaken, they had the same commercial diet.

RogerTheTortoise

5 Year Member
I feed Roger fresh spring mix and wet crushed zoo med. And soak him about 15-20 a day.
Living in an apartment, I can't grow my own greens. Really you can buy anything, preferable organic, just not spinach.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rebecca:

I don't think we ought to feed tender young babies the manufactured tortoise diets. Both of these swollen babies (the one from a different thread) have a mfg'd tort food in their diet and I really do think it is what is causing the problem.

Look in the produce section of the grocery store for packaged lettuces. If you can find Spring Mix and Santa Barbara Mix, either one of these is a good base for your diet.

I start with Spring Mix and to that I add mullberry leaves, grape leaves, hollyhock leaves, squash leaves, clover, dichondra and whatever else I can find to cut with my scissors and put in a plastic bag each morning. Then I'll cut them all up into bite-sized baby pieces, put a handful on the feeding station and sprinkle with a tiny bit of calcium powder (if you don't get these leaves wet, you can store them in a tightly covered Tupperware bowl for several days). As it gets further into winter, and the leaves are all gone, I just make due with the Spring Mix. Occasionally I'll buy a bunch of turnip greens to include. You can also chop up some opuntia cactus. You should be able to find lots of that in Texas!

I know it sounds like a lot of work for a teeny tiny tortoise, but your baby will thank you for it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
BrinnANDGupta said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

jbean7916 said:

There is a lot available in most people's yards:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
Check out the plant database & booklet. Wild greens are nutritious and free!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
lizbeth490 said:
BrinnANDGupta said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

jbean7916 said:

http://www.sulcatafood.com/Store.html is where I bought seed for my 1 month olds, it grows very quickly (maybe 4-5 days) and they absolutely love grazing in it. When it gets to long I cut it and put it in a ziploc in the fridge and add it into there indoor enclosure :] goodluck

Do you just grow that in your tortoises enclosure under the UV bulb? thats what I would like to be able to do
small enclosure.jpg
thats his enclosure

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
[/quote]

Do you just grow that in your tortoises enclosure under the UV bulb? thats what I would like to be able to do

thats his enclosure
[/quote]

I'm in florida so right now I have it growing outside, I'm sure it would do fine in your enclousure though, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I was planning on growing it inside once it cools down outside and I don't see a problem since it grows so easily. :]

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member

thats his enclosure
[/quote]

I'm in florida so right now I have it growing outside, I'm sure it would do fine in your enclousure though, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I was planning on growing it inside once it cools down outside and I don't see a problem since it grows so easily. :][/QUOTE]

Awesome , thanks so much for recommending that to me. Do u feed anything else with it or just let him eat his full on that ?

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
I also feed them organic romaine other than that just this mix and they sure do love it :] I am thinking about trying some squash, pumpkin, and carrots just to add something new, they sure do eat alot lol

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
I wasn't able to read the whole thread, but I know there was a recall for romaine last week for E-coli...? I would think these guys would be able to hang with exposure to Ecoli... But... Maybe not? Anyone else familiar with the recall and if it would affect the baby sulcata?

jbean7916

5 Year Member
I grow some inside so that KP can graze if he wants to when he can't go outside. I just put some seed in a tub with organic soil and it really took off. I can take the whole tub outside for sun (kp included) whenever it's warm enough.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
jbean7916 said:
I grow some inside so that KP can graze if he wants to when he can't go outside. I just put some seed in a tub with organic soil and it really took off. I can take the whole tub outside for sun (kp included) whenever it's warm enough.

That's what I did , Gupta's IMAG0390.jpg is really humid and moist in high hopes that that will keep him from pyramiding, so I just sprinkled the seeds all over his enclosure and mixed it up. I'm hoping that very soon grass will start springing up.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
When you are planting seeds in his enclosure,make sure they are not coated with pesticide. Many commercial seeds are. Most,but not all,of the time it will say so on the packet

Status
Not open for further replies.