My Best Night Box Design Yet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you @Tom and @Dizisdalife .
@Tom I just read and looked at each of the links you posted and you make a great point. I would not mind using (trying a Radiant Heat Panel).
Where would you suggest I look for one? I just looked on Amazon and Ebay for a few minutes.

My biggest struggle is just how big should I make his box? I will not get another sulcata. So it just needs to be big enough for him. I will work on posting pictures of mine I have 10-15. I am a little new to tortoise form.

I get my RHPs from these guys: http://www.reptilebasics.com/80-watt-radiant-heat-panel
Excellent service and excellent products.

I make mine 4x4'. Actually I make the box just small enough to fit inside a 48x48" lid to keep out rain. They end up being around 40x40" inside which is plenty big enough for a single sulcata. Then I use the RHP and the Kane heat mat over on one side. This way they can get off the heat, but still be inside the warm box.

ksanchez

5 Year Member
Ca
Thank you so much @Tom.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR TIME AND HELP.
Both my sulcata and I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom, I just noticed the small notch at the top of the side wall for the electrical cord. I didn't include this on mine and now that temps are really cold here, the moisture collects at that area and I'm worried the wood is going to mold, warp etc.. not to mention the small amount of heat and moisture escaping (it maintains temps but still)

So, my question is, can I cut that notch in now? Is that a good idea? What tool should I use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I just noticed the small notch at the top of the side wall for the electrical cord. I didn't include this on mine and now that temps are really cold here, the moisture collects at that area and I'm worried the wood is going to mold, warp etc.. not to mention the small amount of heat and moisture escaping (it maintains temps but still)

So, my question is, can I cut that notch in now? Is that a good idea? What tool should I use?

That notch never comes out right. I use a drill bit and then a hammer and chisel or Dremmel with a sanding drum. Tried a jig saw once too. I have not found a clean way to make that notch.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can set a skill saw at about a 1/2 " and make three or four passes . This will make the notch smooth . Or you can use a router with a dato bit .

Reactions: Tom

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is a picture of a router .

Attachments

• 1421126841022.jpg
    1421126841022.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 47

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can set a skill saw at about a 1/2 " and make three or four passes . This will make the notch smooth.

Now THAT is a good tip. Never thought of that one. I will give it a try on my next box. I've got some round files that I could smooth out the cuts with too.

Thanks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your welcome . The least I can do . I know wood working .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your welcome . The least I can do . I know wood working .

I am all self taught and still have A LOT to learn. To say that I've been learning the hard way would be an understatement. No one to teach me and no one to do it for me, so I've just done it myself and figured things out along the way.

I appreciate any and all construction tips.

I'm building a couple of large indoor enclosures right now for some growing experiments this spring. I love building and get such a thrill from it, but man I wish I knew more... By the time I learn enough to be competent, I will be dying of old age... :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hear you . I guess I was lucky to have a handyman grandpa . My pops has cerebral palsy on his right side so I became the handyman in our house . If you need ideas hit me up .

Yaksha

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I'm attempting one of these right now and have a question. In Picture #6, you can see the interior frame around the door. How did you attach the 2x4 there? The only way I can think of would be to go from the bottom, but that means the screw has to go all the way through the plywood at the bottom, through the 2x4 and into the other 2x4. Is this just done with long 5 inch screws, or something else?

Valentine's Mom

Florida
Hi!!!!

I love the design of this house! I am looking at building one starting on Friday. Wanted to check with you first to see if you have made any changes to this design or heater setup? My tort is 100lbs. Going to build a 4x4x2. Also thinking about adding a outside insulated box to house the heater. Any thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm attempting one of these right now and have a question. In Picture #6, you can see the interior frame around the door. How did you attach the 2x4 there? The only way I can think of would be to go from the bottom, but that means the screw has to go all the way through the plywood at the bottom, through the 2x4 and into the other 2x4. Is this just done with long 5 inch screws, or something else?

Look at the earlier pics of the bottom. There is just one long 2x4 all the way along the front, and I cut a notch out of it for the door.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bermuda grass bedding....did you buy that or grow it yourself?

That is just bermuda hay from the local feed store. It comes in big bales for feeding horses. I've since switched to orchard grass hay and like it better.