My favorite substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Some of the substrates I like to use, mixed accordingly depending upon the species it's being used for are: Eco-Earth, play sand, Miracle-Gro Organic Choice potting soil (contains no chemicals), leaf litter and sphagnum moss. In a few of the largest enclosures I do also use a newspaper base with a layer of hay over it. It can get a bit messy but it would take alot of the other listed substrates to cover the area needed! Maybe in the future I'll have them all the same but for now it is what it is.
substrates.jpg

enclosure-5.jpg

Pancakesubstrate.jpg

Redfootsubstrate.jpg

haybedding.jpg

substrates.jpg

andred82vert

5 Year Member
If you want cheaper coco-coir, go to a hydroponics store. They sell Pre-expanded ones in huge bags for around $20.00

...as long as you dont mind dealing with their half-baked associates trying to ring you up with their bloodshot eyes

Shalon

5 Year Member
The Miracle Gro website says that the potting soil contains fertilizers. Does that bag say what they are? The website says they are natural but I am still wondering. I also wonder what kind of bark is in it.

andred82vert

5 Year Member
usually, if its an organic potting soil, they put "organic" fertilizers = compost and/or manure

Shalon

5 Year Member
I found the package on line it says it is formulated from 50-55% composted bark, sphagnum peat moss, pasteurized poultry litter, and an organic wetting agent

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Correct. The "poultry litter" provides a natural source of nitrogen as a fertilizer when used as plants. The material composition straight from the bag is completely ground, small particles and can easily be as humid or as dry as you need it to be.

Shalon said:
I found the package on line it says it is formulated from 50-55% composted bark, sphagnum peat moss, pasteurized poultry litter, and an organic wetting agent

Status
Not open for further replies.