Substrates, newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuketank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia
Hi i am new at keeping tortoise and happen to own a sulcata tortoise which is around 7 cm. My newbie question is how you keep the bottom layer substrates clean? I have seen a lot of set up with soils and even planted. Dont your tortoises expel all the dirty stuff onto the soils? I am aware that if this is outdoor then it would be fine. But what about those that keep inside containers/aquariums? I hope i'm posting in the right forum space and please excuse if this is the wrong room. Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/manancialdanoite/thh/DSC_9295.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I use coco coir for my Sulcata hatchling and I only need to spot clean the substrate as he is still small and doesnt make that big of a mess.. I personally don't use soil because I wanna keep any extra insect life out. Right now my tort is in a large cement tub but I will be moving him to an aquarium and any plants I put in their will be potted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steven:

I really like what you've done for a habitat. Cutting out the sides and placing them together make a nice, big habitat for your little guy.

It looks like you're using coco coir as a substrate, huh? It should be fairly easy to go through it every morning and afternoon and check for the clumps of pee and the little poops. Just pick them out and toss them. When you sprinkle the substrate with water, mix it around with your hand and stir it all up. If you see any more poops, just pick them out and toss them. Your substrate should last quite a long time before you have to change it out and add new.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
nuketank said:
My newbie question is how you keep the bottom layer substrates clean? I have seen a lot of set up with soils and even planted. Dont your tortoises expel all the dirty stuff onto the soils? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/manancialdanoite/thh/DSC_9295.jpg

Your habitat is fine...joining the two containers is a good idea. Your less likely to have waste in the enclosure if you soak twice a day. Warm water soaks of at least half an hour in the morning and again in the late afternoon will minimize (if not eliminate) waste in the exhibit:tort:

nuketank

5 Year Member
Medan, North Sumatra - Indonesia
DeanS said:
nuketank said:
My newbie question is how you keep the bottom layer substrates clean? I have seen a lot of set up with soils and even planted. Dont your tortoises expel all the dirty stuff onto the soils? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/manancialdanoite/thh/DSC_9295.jpg

Your habitat is fine...joining the two containers is a good idea. Your less likely to have waste in the enclosure if you soak twice a day. Warm water soaks of at least half an hour in the morning and again in the late afternoon will minimize (if not eliminate) waste in the exhibit:tort:

So sorry, but that image doesnt belong to me and i dont want to take credit for it. I found that in one of the listing here. Anyway but i get the message and see how it is done now. Thanks a lot for all the quick replies. Cheers.

Just another quick question, if he pees doesnt that stinks the enclosure? just a thought.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When they pee they excrete a white substance, called urates. Mine usually does it in the water bowl so no need to worry about a smell

Status
Not open for further replies.