New Setup - Good read for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnesrose

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Love the set up!!! I'm definitely going to try this out when I get my first tortoise =]. So pretty much all you did was tape up the two plastic crates right?

TaraTort

5 Year Member
Heyy, i saw some one asked where can you get a ceramic heater with a thermostat... i was going to ask the same question
And it was asnwered from a reptile speacilized pet store, the only pet store that i have near me doesnt do it do you know any where online that will do them?

Oh and those cages shown were fanstatic they were great , like a little junhle for your tort,
Great set ups :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
A "ceramic heat emitter" bulb will be sold separately from the fixture (you want a ceramic socket, either a cage or a hood fixture), and sold separately from a thermostat. Any online reptile store will have all of them (pet stores usually have the bulbs, although at a huge price markup), although the fixture and thermostat don't have to be specifically for reptiles and may be found at a hardware store.

I suggest starting a new thread to get recommendations for a set up including wattage for the bulb, as this post is months old.

derf

5 Year Member
i love it, where did you get all your materials? i want to do something similar but don't know where i would find the flat rocks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
derf said:
i love it, where did you get all your materials? i want to do something similar but don't know where i would find the flat rocks

This thread was originally started in Dec. of '07. I haven't seen the originator post in quite a while. Also, he's in Lisbon, so where he got his supplies probably wouldn't do you any good. Why don't you start a new thread and ask your questions again. You might get a better response if you start a new thread.

Yvonne

Ichabod

5 Year Member
How many gallons are the plastic container?

I am in love with your setup!!!!

way2gfy

5 Year Member
TestudoGeek said:
Nay said:
Then they could get it as they need it?

That's the general idea. To have it in there so the tort can eat it when needed. Just like with the cuttlefish bone. I just happened to find calcium on the herp store a few month ago and went with this solution, skipping the cuttlefish.

I keep the small container (a water bottle cap) next to his feeding rock (missing in the last picture, since it was removed for cleaning) to promote interest. Torts are inquisitive by nature, I guess, and it took mine a couple of minutes to find it, sniff it and devour it.

Fist week was intense, but now it eats small amounts everyother week.

I'm sure it'll work with your torts to.

I have some Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 powder and was wondering if that was ok to give to my Desert Tortoise?

Here is the info I have on it:

Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3
Phosphorous - Free Ultrafine powder

Rep-Cal Ultrafine (fine grind) is an excellent source of calcium for all reptiles and amphibians. Scientifically formulated from 100% natural Oyster Shell phosphorous-free calcium carbonate with added Vitamin D3 to aid in the absorption of calcium.

Dosage: We ask that you mix Rep-Cal with our vitamin supplement Herptivite. If we premixed the products, the "beadlets" of beta carotene in Herptivite may possibly be damaged during manufacturing by the calcium in Rep-Cal. Mix with vegetables, fruits, and pastes approximately 1/2 tablespoon Rep-Cal with 1/2 tablespoon Herptivite per pound of food.
Before feeding insects:
1) Thoroughly mix a 1:1 ratio of Rep-Cal and Herptivite in a plastic bag.
2) Place insects in the bag.
3) Shake slowly until they are completely covered.
No other supplementation is required.

I got that info off their website.

Thanks.

chadk

10 Year Member!
way2gfy said:
TestudoGeek said:
Nay said:
Then they could get it as they need it?

That's the general idea. To have it in there so the tort can eat it when needed. Just like with the cuttlefish bone. I just happened to find calcium on the herp store a few month ago and went with this solution, skipping the cuttlefish.

I keep the small container (a water bottle cap) next to his feeding rock (missing in the last picture, since it was removed for cleaning) to promote interest. Torts are inquisitive by nature, I guess, and it took mine a couple of minutes to find it, sniff it and devour it.

Fist week was intense, but now it eats small amounts everyother week.

I'm sure it'll work with your torts to.

I have some Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 powder and was wondering if that was ok to give to my Desert Tortoise?

Here is the info I have on it:

Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3
Phosphorous - Free Ultrafine powder

Rep-Cal Ultrafine (fine grind) is an excellent source of calcium for all reptiles and amphibians. Scientifically formulated from 100% natural Oyster Shell phosphorous-free calcium carbonate with added Vitamin D3 to aid in the absorption of calcium.

Dosage: We ask that you mix Rep-Cal with our vitamin supplement Herptivite. If we premixed the products, the "beadlets" of beta carotene in Herptivite may possibly be damaged during manufacturing by the calcium in Rep-Cal. Mix with vegetables, fruits, and pastes approximately 1/2 tablespoon Rep-Cal with 1/2 tablespoon Herptivite per pound of food.
Before feeding insects:
1) Thoroughly mix a 1:1 ratio of Rep-Cal and Herptivite in a plastic bag.
2) Place insects in the bag.
3) Shake slowly until they are completely covered.
No other supplementation is required.

I got that info off their website.

Thanks.

They make the kind that does not have D3 as well. That is typically the one you want. Can you exchange it? If your tort is getting natural sun or artificial via UVB bulb, then you don't want the D3 as it could be dangerous (overdose). A cuttlebone is often all you need for calcium. They chew it when their bodies tell them they need it. But sprinkling a little calcium carbonate powder on their food here and their can be a good idea as well. No need to pay the high pet store costs either...

crisscross187

5 Year Member
Thats awesome, what did you use for the ground the tortoise walks on? I want to have stuff like that for mine b/c he's not like the stuff he has now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Testudogeek posted the pictures of his habitat TWO years ago. And he hasn't visited the forum in almost a year. He is in Portugal, so the brand name of his substrate wouldn't be the same one you would have access to unless you are also in Portugal.

It looks to me like coconut coir.

crisscross187

5 Year Member
HI I WAS WONDRING WHAT YOU USED FOR THE SUBSTRATE IT LOOKS GREAT AND PROBABLY RETAINS MOISTURE

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Crisscross187:

This is a VERY OLD thread and the original poster hasn't visited the forum for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.