Our new setup and tortoise group

baldegale

yes, same bulb. they are getting plenty UVB then. the reason its skinny is because it’s probably a T5, whereas the one pictured is a T8 the T5 and T8 refer to the bulb size/fixture

baldegale

also another thing too! when you have to buy another one dont worry about buying the 10.0 bulbs. theyre mainly used for going through screens because of how much the screens absorb. you can use just a normal T5 HO (high output) reptisun bulb as they are used for inside enclosures and are also cheaper

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Please don’t get mad but, your enclosure is way to small for all those torts. Also, two species should never be put in the same enclosure. They have different requirements and diets. They can spread diseases to each other that may kill them. You may have to separate them into individual enclosures because of aggression. Some torts can be kept together in groups of three or more. Good luck

Elemenohpee

Southern California
Please don’t get mad but, your enclosure is way to small for all those torts. Also, two species should never be put in the same enclosure. They have different requirements and diets. They can spread diseases to each other that may kill them. You may have to separate them into individual enclosures because of aggression. Some torts can be kept together in groups of three or more. Good luck

No reason to get mad. I’m on this forum to listen and take info from people. The enclosure is not their home for the rest of their lives. Like I said in my first post I live in Southern California where they have access to the outside so this is where they will be most of the time when the weather is good. ( in Southern California the weather is always good)

I never knew that they could spread disease to each other like that. I was under the impression sulcatas and leopards both come from Africa and eat the same dark leafy greens? What is the difference in their diet/ requirements?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of having different species in the same enclosure, so my advice is to make another enclosure and separate the leopards from the sulcatas. Then pour water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand to get the whole thing wet, adding more water as it dries out. You'll need two, maybe three hiding places. I'm also a fan of those fake aquarium plants that have a weighted base. This gives the babies a bit more cover and makes them feel a little safer. I keep my whole enclosure between 80-85F all the time, day and night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Elemenohpee. Welcome to the forum. Here's my 2 cents worth:
  • You don't need the Powersun. They run hot and it will overheat your whole enclosure.
  • The 10.0 tubes are good, but the tortoises won't get any UV benefit from them unless they are 10-12 inches away, and even then, they don't get much from this type of bulb. These bulbs do make great light, so I'de keep them. Your tortoise are getting real sun for a few hours per week, so they really don't need an indoor UV source.
  • A 90 degree ambient is good during the day, but they still need a basking area to warm up in, and I don't see that in your enclsoure. The power sun will be too hot for this. You'll probably need a 45 watt flood, or maybe a small 35 watt one.
  • The CHE is good for maintaining ambient day and night, but you need it on a thermostat.
  • I agree that the species need to be separated ASAP.
  • Separating the species creates another problem, and that is that tortoises should not live in pairs. So it looks like you need one more enclosure plus one more sulcata, or, one more enclosure for each sulcata.
  • Their diet needs some improvement and more variety. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole. Use all those other things you are already offering, and more, to add some variety.
Here is all the care info for you. Please come back with all your questions after reading through these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/