My first attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Well, after reading numerous threads I have given my first indoor enclosure a go... eeek

Given the UK weather has been a little up and down recently , I thought I needed a larger sheltered enclosure, so I have converted my garden shed into a little house for George (a 3 year male Hermann).

I would welcome all feedback, as George is my first tortoise and I need to know if i'm doing anything wrong. (I won't be offended).

I have layed down 4 different types of terain.. (1) Orchid Bark (2) Tortoise Terain form "Pets at Home", which is a mixture of Top Soil, Sand and Limestone (3) Reptile Substrate which is under the basking lamp (4) Top soil, which I have planted some Cress and will go shopping tomorrow for some more plants..

I have bought a long UVB lamp and a basking light and placed some logs for climbing around and a flower pot on it's side for a little hut...

I also have a small pool for George to paddle in and feeding tray (although you can't see these on the photos).

I'm going to try and link the garden and shed so he can wonder in and out, but i'm warn out today from cleaing 5 years of junk from the shed!!

+ After nearly 3 days of hardly eating anything, he gobbled up loads of cress, red lettuce, rocket and clover...so he must be happy!

Dylan

George 3.jpg

George 2.jpg

George 1.jpg

George 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LindaF

5 Year Member
No wonder he is happy. He now has loads of space. When he can roam out into the garden, he will think he is in paradise! Nice job! It really shows how much you love George.

Dylan

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
Thats cool, whats the white material?

Thanks - Its Aspen bedding, I think its more for snakes as it's drier that the Ochid Bark and tortoise soil, although I thought id give it a go.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Dylan said:
dalano73 said:
Thats cool, whats the white material?

Thanks - Its Aspen bedding, I think its more for snakes as it's drier that the Ochid Bark and tortoise soil, although I thought id give it a go.

Very cool....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice job, Dylan. I think your little guy is going to be plenty happy in there.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks fantastic. It will be great if you can connect this to an outside area for nice weather. Even if the sun comes out only briefly, he can enjoy it but have a nice spot to retreat to.
You might have enough room to add 1-2 more hides, they do seem to love choices. Perhaps you could build the soil up a bit more around one of the hides so it could be partially submerged, and he could burrow a bit.
Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.