My first attempt at a tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
This is my first attempt at a tortoise table. It's 2'x4' and lined with a shower liner. There is a 18" UVB light mounted just out of camera view above the enclosure. I have a ceramic bulb for basking on the right, as well as a night light there. I have two terracotta bowls in there. One is a water dish, while the other functions as a food bowl. I have a second food bowl in the top left hand corner. I have a cactus mounted on one of the small wood walls between the water and food dish. They love the cactus. There hide is on the left and is 1'x2'. I will adding a ramp to a second story above the hide. I also added a fake crocodile skull for decoration. I made some mistakes building it but nothing that affected the out come. I will know what to do and not to do next time. Any advice on my build would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0675.jpg
    IMAG0675.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAG0673.jpg
    IMAG0673.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG0674.jpg
    IMAG0674.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 223

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nice, Eddie. Pretty good for a first attempt. Next time make it a bit bigger. I think the way you've blocked each other's sight at the feeding stations is very inventive. Good job.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not bad at all. One suggestion. The light that is on the clamp. Find a different way to attach the light other then the clamp. The clamp is known to not hold and then either a fire or burned tort.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
Really, I've used lights on clamps for a long time with snakes and never had any fall. What other way would you suggest?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
AcidElvis said:
Really, I've used lights on clamps for a long time with snakes and never had any fall. What other way would you suggest?

Another way Wellington may be suggesting is any other way other than a clamp. Just as long as it is not at an angle, because this is know to reduce the life of the bulb. I hang both my CHE (ceramic heat emitter) and my mvb (mercury vapor bulb) inside but held by a chain that is tightly bound. I've heard of some stories of a light falling off of a clamp and lighting something on fire. This is a risk I'm not willing to take. Your enclosure looks good. A second story will be great as Russians love to roam and climb, so the more space, the merrier they will be.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I have my lamp clamped the same way as you and have had no problems YET but it is a constant worry and i have put zip ties on to secure it a little better but this is something I plan to change as I won't leave the house without checking it every time. If you have a way of making it more secure I would agree with the others and do it as they are so dangerous. I laid the little one I have on, face down on the floor until I tightened it, it was down for 5second max and burned a hole straight through my carpet!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Status
Not open for further replies.