My first shipped tortoise, excited and scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Cheers my good friends! (Holds up beer).

I already have two rescues (Sulcata and a Greek), and I'm adopting a Hermanns from another fellow TFO member back east (I'm in Oregon). He's an adult, keeper very reluctantly has to part with him, so I gladly accepted (been interested in the Hermannis for awhile, so I jumped at the opportunity to adopt).

He's being overnighted on Friday either FedEx or UPS, so I can be home Friday to receive him (off Fridays).

I'm going nutz with excitement, and his new (temporary isolation ward) is almost ready. I'm sure Friday morning I will rearrange it 27 more times while I'm pacing the house. LOL

So the purpose of this thread is two-fold:

1) announcement to my TFO friends that I have another new family member arriving. I'm so thrilled

2) Asking for advice on what I should do for the first 12-48 hours upon arrival and unpacking.

-Should I place him in his enclosure and leave him be other than to feed?
-Should I immediately do a warm soak?

Pending expert opinions from everyone here, I plan to :

1) unpack him and place in new habitat after full examination and weight (for medical records)
2) give him a few hours then warm soaks dailyc
3) offer constant leafy greens and soaked Mazuri
4) offering basking, UV and cool zone, plus hide. Ambient (68°) at night
5) Quarantine from other 2 torts for 5-6 months.

Did I miss anything?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Congrats on your new addition. Everything sounds great. The only thing I can think of is that your tort is being shipped from east coast to northwest. That's couple of flight transfers I believe. If by a small chance, but still a chance, there is a glitch along the way, as we have seen today at another thread tort being delayed in shipping for 24hours, except your tort would spend the whole weekend somewhere, in the box. That's 4 days shipping. Just food for thought.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Good input. I have Fridays off, and if he was delayed a day he can arrive Saturday. Hopefully a second day would not be needed! Ugh. Thanks for the added stress!!! LOL. Teasing.

The current owner will send me a tracking number, and thankfully whether he comes FedEx or UPS, I have some really good contacts (like a former CEO and bunches of Pilots.), I can hopefully keep tabs on him and he gets delayed.

Lets think positive and I can't wait to post pix!!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have had the best luck with Fedex.

Good luck with your new guy.

Ann from CT

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
The owner decided he was more comfortable with UPS, and I told him whatever was best for the Tortoise was best for me.
So he's heading out west tomorrow morning. They will have their Geary, Audrey Hepburn goodbye, then a long 24 hrs in a box, then....PARADISE!!!! Or so I hope that is what he thinks. I've prepared a temporary enclosure...so I can figure out what he likes. Various substrates with hide, places to climb and fake plants to hide under. Mixed humidity as well. It's not big, but its safe while I learn more about him and his "querks".

If anyone has advice on how to deal with the first week of accepting a shipped Hermanni, I'm all ears.

Love you all!!! Anxious to learn more.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I find it a good idea to open the box, remove the tort directly to a scale for weight. Then about a 15 minutes to half hour soak in shallow water. Then weigh again.

Then place into the enclosure. Food already in the enclosure allows for several hours with no further interuption.

In the shipping box/bag is likley to be a fecal. Place it in water, so it disolves, evaluate it for adult worms/ parasites.

Scan that first bath for fecal for worms as well.

Shipping can disturb the tortoise, maybe stress it a little, that can cause parasitic worms to shed more readily, so those shipping and immediate post shipping fecals are a good chance to find out sooner than later.

The out of the box weight, and after soak weight inform you about any dehydration. A huge weight gain can show this even if the tortoise lost a few grams in the soak, as feces.

All assurances from the person sending the animal to you to the contrary about worms or hydration staus are good to have. Those assurnaces do not replace your own first hand observations.

Will

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Great advise Will. I was going to suggest a warm soak after arrival, but Will gave more thorough advice. Congrats on your new addition. I know you're so excited! Best to you and your torts.:) Btw, if shipped properly, the box will have "live animal" on the box; so, the chances of a 4 day delay is unlikely.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm a vet tech, so I already planned on a fecal first thing. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Pre-programmed to expect the worst, LOL

Pretty much what I intended to do, but thank you so much for the additions comments. Weight checks for hydration status is fantastic idea. I will bring my gram scale home today after work, then

LET THE PACING OF THE HOUSE BEGIN!!!

His house is all set up and ready. Larry will have to do without his sun lamp for the weekend while the new one from Amazon is on its way. Plan to quarantine.
I have three types of commercial food I will soak and make into easily nibbled pyramid shapes, and a new bag of spring mix. In the morning I will forage the neighbors yard for clover and dandelions (my sulcata annihilated my yard).

Anything else??? It's going to be so hard not to want to hold him. I figured I'd just leave him alone for a few days.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
LOL, I don't miss the type of anticipation you are experiencing. Been through it twice, and out of room to experience it anymore. The pacing, the up and down, the checking out the windows every 10 min's, etc, etc. Not to mention the sleep you DON'T get the night before arrival....lol. And, yes, rearranging the enclosure a couple hundred times, only to find you have to rearrange one last time when he gets home.

Congrats and good luck, SenjiSandy! By the way, I handled all mine right away. I know so many folks say not to, but I do because, in my opinion, I think it helps. If the previous owner handled a lot maybe it won't be such a big deal?!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Maybe depends on the tortoise. Hmmmmmm. Interesting input.
My Sulcata was prob handled too much when I got him, but then, he came to me injured and we had to examine him.

My Greek, I left him be and he warmed up to me quickly. But he was healthy.

I will observe this new Hermanni and see.

And I have rearranged his house 4 times in 12 hours. LOL

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
HE MADE IT TO PORTLAND!!!!!

Tracking confirmed he flew from Syracuse to PDX overnight.
Still shows 3pm schedule delivery, which is consistent with my neighborhood schedule.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
No further updates with tracking number. At least now, he's within an hour drive of me.
But I expect delivery on schedule this afternoon. :)

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Post office called and I just picked him up. Perfect situation!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379096029.381522.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379096043.136237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379096058.219154.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Congrats! From the top that looks like a western Hermanns. Can you post pics of plastron for confirmation?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I will post plastron pix later. He's had a 15 minute warm soak, then place in new house with 3 different substrates, water dish, greens, soaked Mazuri, sun lamp, rocks, a bush and a log to his inside.

I just checked on him, ate most of the food, and his hiding under log.

I'm going to leave him alone for the afternoon to rest, heal from any stress of travel and get acclimated to new enclosure.

I'm so exited, he's very striking!!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Oh, I did weigh him. 11 oz. opinion?

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
He's awesome looking! Congrats! That's really good he ate so soon.
Now you can relax ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.