my first Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

this girl hoa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just adopted my first sulcata! :D He's a 32 pounds.

I've always wanted one but never had the chance, but now that i have big backyard with plenty of space I decided to adopt one.

so far he's healthy and well, the only problem i have with him is outdoor heating. I'm scare of over heating him and i'm on a budget for now. any good ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "this girl hoa":

1108433dholjqy72z.gif
to the forum!!

(May we know your name?)

You live in Southern California, so you probably won't have too much to worry about outside for heat. If you think its getting too cold, then you can just set up a clamp light fixture with either a red or black bulb. Or you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), but if you use a CHE, be sure to buy the clamp light fixture that has a ceramic base, not the Bakelite ones. The CHE gets pretty hot. The CHE doesn't put out any light, just heat, and you can mount it inside the shelter or dog house. Just be sure you mount your fixture high enough so that you don't burn the tortoise's back. You don't have to worry about heating the whole yard, only the shelter area. The tortoise will come and go as he needs to.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Congrats on adopting instead of buying! I have taken in 4....I live up north near Sacramento, so heating can be an issue.. $, but so far so good!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hoa, were still patiently waiting for pics of Turbo. Tinypic.com makes it very easy. Just upload any size photo and copy/paste the IMG code into your post. They don't require you to sign up or give any personal info at all. I love it. Here's a link:

http://tinypic.com/

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello and welcome to the group! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. This is a very helpful group with answering questions. It is my experience that Sulcatas will take care of their temp themselves as long as they have access to it. If they are warm, they will move away from the heat source and vice versa. The only thing to watch is that the heat lamp is high, over 18 inches, away from him so it won't burn the shell.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh, what a handsome tortoise! He looks healthy and alert.

How old is he, do you know? What is his personality like so far?

this girl hoa

5 Year Member
Southern California
I've only had him for a month. . so far he's really sweet, not aggressive at all. my backyard is still nice, he hasn't done any damage. =] oh, the best part is he comes to me when i sit in my backyard. I think he likes the company. overall, he's super sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.