My first sully

Grimjob

So this will be my thread where I'll do all of my progress and tank set up. And would love any feedback. I've just decorated his cage and today I'll be doing his lights and getting temp and humidity perfect. This is the tank so far. Should I add some plants? I have wheat grass growing in a container which I wanted to place in there? And should I put some rocks around his water bowls to stop mulch being dragged in? Not long till I get him or her :):tort:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I never had much luck with plants , so I just put some plastic ones in there for Speedy to hide behind . You can try the rocks, but I always just sunk it down so it was even with the rest of the substrate. Its going to happen so why try to avoid the inevitable ? Make sure to put the thermometer down at "tort level" !

100_7972.jpg

Grimjob

I never had much luck with plants , so I just put some plastic ones in there for Speedy to hide behind . You can try the rocks, but I always just sunk it down so it was even with the rest of the substrate. Its going to happen so why try to avoid the inevitable ? Make sure to put the thermometer down at "tort level" !

View attachment 184654
Ok might just add some fake ones for him to play in and nice to look at. Yeh I thought that haha. Will do. Also got a temp gun coming so will make sure all is perfect

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Ok might just add some fake ones for him to play in and nice to look at. Yeh I thought that haha. Will do. Also got a temp gun coming so will make sure all is perfect
That temp gun is a great investment , I have moved Speedy outside , and it really helped when I was adjusting the temps in his night box ! I had a digital thermometer that also showed humidity . Don't waste your $$ on those round spring type units , they are grossly inaccurate !

Grimjob

That temp gun is a great investment , I have moved Speedy outside , and it really helped when I was adjusting the temps in his night box ! I had a digital thermometer that also showed humidity . Don't waste your $$ on those round spring type units , they are grossly inaccurate !
Yeh I only have the digital ones bother thermometer and humidity I trust them more

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never been able to use moss in the hides. Every sulcata I've ever raised tries to eat it. Also, you need a humid hide. The openings on either end of that log let all your humidity out even with the moss. I use small black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. Less than $2. Flip it over and cut out a door hole. Simple and effective.

Are you getting a hatchling? I don't have a size reference, but those bowls look to big. Or the enclosure is too small… 4" terra cotta saucers work best for hatchlings. Save those bigger ones for later on.

You might end up needing to cover those vents in the back. Time and your gauges will tell…

Let us know what you do for heating and lighting for tips there when you are ready.

I would not put rocks around the water bowl, but some people like to.

Your tray idea should work very well for you. Just start lots of trays now because your tortoise will be mowing through those trays.

Last thing: If you are getting a healthy well started baby from a good source, and you raise it well in the conditions provided by your awesome closed chamber there, it will outgrow that space in 4-6 months. If you feed lightly and don't use Mazuri, you might get 8 months. Growth will seem slow for the first month or two, and then BAM!!! Watch out. They thrive when they are kept well hydrated in warm humid enclosures.

Grimjob

I've never been able to use moss in the hides. Every sulcata I've ever raised tries to eat it. Also, you need a humid hide. The openings on either end of that log let all your humidity out even with the moss. I use small black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. Less than $2. Flip it over and cut out a door hole. Simple and effective.

Are you getting a hatchling? I don't have a size reference, but those bowls look to big. Or the enclosure is too small… 4" terra cotta saucers work best for hatchlings. Save those bigger ones for later on.

You might end up needing to cover those vents in the back. Time and your gauges will tell…

Let us know what you do for heating and lighting for tips there when you are ready.

I would not put rocks around the water bowl, but some people like to.

Your tray idea should work very well for you. Just start lots of trays now because your tortoise will be mowing through those trays.

Last thing: If you are getting a healthy well started baby from a good source, and you raise it well in the conditions provided by your awesome closed chamber there, it will outgrow that space in 4-6 months. If you feed lightly and don't use Mazuri, you might get 8 months. Growth will seem slow for the first month or two, and then BAM!!! Watch out. They thrive when they are kept well hydrated in warm humid enclosures.
Thanks Tom for all that helpful information. Will take all on board. That hide is just some pvc pipe with a cap on the end that I've rubbed in silicon and rolled through the mulch. I thought that about the opening I'll make something different and that will hold the humidity better.
Yes getting a hatchling so I'll Change the water bowls. The enclosure is a 4ft enclosure so I think the water bowls are way to big. Thanks mate.

Ok will watch humidity and if need be will cover the vents. I want to make sure it's the perfect enclosure for him/her.

Thanks again tom and thanks speedy for all the input

Grimjob

I took your advice Tom and changed the hide. This is georgie in her enclosure. Temps and humidity is running well. Sitting around 85% and temps are around 26-27 and 36-37 in the hot spot. She is a cutie. Just want to make sure she is eating and drink. She moves around plenty and seems alert

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I took your advice Tom and changed the hide. This is georgie in her enclosure. Temps and humidity is running well. Sitting around 85% and temps are around 26-27 and 36-37 in the hot spot. She is a cutie. Just want to make sure she is eating and drink. She moves around plenty and seems alert
She is adorable! I miss that tiny stage.

Grimjob

It's so cute this little stage. I don't want her to grow haha. Do baby sulcatas move around a lot? Like are they very active or do the relax throughout the day? And should she constantly be feeding? If anyone could let me that would be great so I know what to look out for. Thanks

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It's so cute this little stage. I don't want her to grow haha. Do baby sulcatas move around a lot? Like are they very active or do the relax throughout the day? And should she constantly be feeding? If anyone could let me that would be great so I know what to look out for. Thanks
They differ, just like people do. A healthy tort kept warm enough is pretty active. I don't think she should constantly be feeding. It is good idea to feed her often and let her eat how much she wants. Give her what is good for her in the beginning so you don't end up with a picky tort.

It's been a really long time since I had a hatchling so my memory is hazy. Charlie goes on regular marches every day, patrolling his territory. Other times, he sits and relaxes. The whole backyard is his feeding ground and food is always available for him to graze on. No matter how much he has eaten, he is always ready for a treat of hibiscus and roses.

Grimjob

Little George having some bokchoy. She pumps laps all around her enclosure image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg