My first tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
After months of research i finally purchased my firs tortoise. He is a baby leopard tortoise and I am already planning on get another in the near future. He sleeps a lot, but has his spurts where he is active and exploring his new digs. I am feeding spring mix, jamaica, hay, bermuda grass, aloe vera, and will sprinkle crushed Mazuri in from time to time. He doesn't use his humid hide, but prefers to burrow on the hot side of his enclosure, is this ok? How do you distinguish between pardalis and babcocki? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
S7304698.jpg

S7304702.jpg

S7304707.jpg

S7304706.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, but I THINK that Babcocki is more readily available here in the states and as hatchlings, Pardalis has two spots inside the scutes. So, going by that, your baby would be a Babcocki. But if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will set me straight! :cool:

Very cute baby. In the wild leopard tortoises usually rest under bushes and scrub. What is the temperature inside the baby's hide? I have noticed with my adult leopard tortoises, that when they're under a bush with the sun shining down through the branches, the tortoise is pretty darned near invisible. He looks just like the sun making shadows on the ground.

1. Baby tortoises are prey and they hide a lot
2. Baby tortoises are small and our lights and heat sources tend to dry them out, so should be soaked at least every other day.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us! I love it when new members join and show us their pictures!

246403qg3hl24260.jpg

to the forum!!

Wow!!! I just realized that you joined the forum in November of '08! You've been a member her for over a year! Now that what I call dedication to doing your research. Sorry that I welcomed you as a newcomer. But so glad you've finally decided to post!

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the welcome. Even though i've been a member for so long I would mostly just read and browse pics, i love all the pics of torts and enclosures. It seems no matter how much research you do there is always more to learn and I love that. I have been keeping crested and leopard geckos, snakes, and inverts for a while, but this is my first tortoise and I wanna make sure he grows up as healthy as possible. I have his humid hide on the hot side which stays between 90 and 92 during the day with a slight drop in temp at night to 85-87 degrees.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Jordan, I'm really enjoying him, he has been very active today.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Nice looking tort. I'd guess it is Babcocki since they are much more predominant in the market.

Some torts like hides, some prefer to dig. Over time I'd bet it will change to like hides, but for now just go with the flow. It sounds like you have everything in place. Your night time temps can drop a little lower. I've heard they like to have a 10-15 degree drop at night.

Good Luck! :)

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Greg, I will let the temps drop a little more at night. Tim the Tool Man Tortoise, thats just awesome!

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
It's eco earth loose substrate. It's like the expandable brick, but comes dry and loose in a bag.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Is it common for baby tortoises to favor the hot side of the enclosure? Mine does walk around the whole enclosure but always settles on the warm side. The hot side is 92 degrees, but he settles under a leaf that is hanging off his humid hide and it reads around 86-88 under there. I also put some sphagnum moss in his humid hide and he goes in there for small amounts of time now.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That is fine. He has found a nice hiding spot he feels safe in. The temps are good. He'll come out several times a day probably, wander around some, then return to his safe spot. Some of mine still have their spot in the outside enclosure they sit in all the time, usually under a bush.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks again Greg. Just like when i first got into reptiles, you do research, but when you finally get your baby you find many more questions to ask, lol.

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Greg T said:
That is fine. He has found a nice hiding spot he feels safe in. The temps are good. He'll come out several times a day probably, wander around some, then return to his safe spot. Some of mine still have their spot in the outside enclosure they sit in all the time, usually under a bush.

That's exactly what is happening now. He comes out a lot more and is a lot more active throughout the day, but always goes back to his little spot burrowed right against his humid hide.
S7304717.jpg

and he has to try to nom on everything at least once.
S7304709.jpg

Thanks again for the help Greg.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a cutie!! Does he have a name? ;)

I notice you took some of your photos in 2031. Are you a time traveller? :p

Tell us how your tortoise has grown and changed over the years! :D

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Stephanie Logan said:
What a cutie!! Does he have a name? ;)

I notice you took some of your photos in 2031. Are you a time traveller? :p

Tell us how your tortoise has grown and changed over the years! :D

Thank you Stephanie, his name is Tortelini, lol. The pictures from 2031 are of Tortelinis baby, Tj (Tortelini Jr.). Tortelini turned into quite a handsome fella. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.