My first tortoise finally arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxygenJunkie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if this enclosure is okay for now. It isn't much, but will it do for the time being? Also, one lamp is a mercury vapor and the other is a night incadescent bulb.

Tortoise Enclosure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
What a cute little baby hermanns! That aquarium will do for now because he/she is extremely tiny but you will want to upgrade very soon! The lamps are good too. What are you using for the hide?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it will work for now. However, I would rather you get rid of the water dish you are using and get a clay saucer like what goes under clay flower pots. Much easier for them. Also, a piece of flat rock or slate is the best for feeding on. Helps keep their beak filed down.
CONGRATS on the little cutie:)

OxygenJunkie

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
What a cute little baby hermanns! That aquarium will do for now because he/she is extremely tiny but you will want to upgrade very soon! The lamps are good too. What are you using for the hide?

I'm using a cut piece of cardboard. I bought the terrarium as a kit and thought the hide box was included but it wasn't so I had to improvise. Is that okay for the tortoise?

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Yes it will work for now. However, I would rather you get rid of the water dish you are using and get a clay saucer like what goes under clay flower pots. Much easier for them. Also, a piece of flat rock or slate is the best for feeding on. Helps keep their beak filed down.
CONGRATS on the little cutie:)

Agreed:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your hide is fine. I am not sure how munch humidity they are suppose to have, so it might not last too long. However, if you get the clay saucer for his water, you could buy the matching pot. Bury part in the substrate and you have a hide.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Unless your night time temperatures are below 55 degrees there is no need for a night time heat source.

OxygenJunkie said:
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if this enclosure is okay for now. It isn't much, but will it do for the time being? Also, one lamp is a mercury vapor and the other is a night incadescent bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.