my heat lamp bulb broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Hello,

I just bought a new heat lamp bulb 2 months ago and it went out again!...i turned it on and POOF...I wonder what the "lifetime" is on these things.....I don't leave it on all the time..only when Ninja in not under her log..when she burrows I turn it off, plus she gets natural sun throughout the day...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
what kind of bulb is it,Manufacturer? Also do you have it in a ceramic socket that is approved for the wattage of the bulb? They should last at least 2-3+ years before blowing. I would return it to the place you bought it from.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i had a regular heat bulb that blew out moments after turning it on i took it back and she simply handed me a new bulb and took the broken one it was easy as pie : ) the new one works great! however make sure your lamp is made for such high wattage and etc

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
yes It a ceramic outlet..and the bulb they are both by "ZOO MED"

wellington said:
what kind of bulb is it,Manufacturer? Also do you have it in a ceramic socket that is approved for the wattage of the bulb? They should last at least 2-3+ years before blowing. I would return it to the place you bought it from.

Yes...i use the same type all the time..its just that the bulb went out....idk y...ill take it to petco and exchange it....plus its a zoo med brand

oh sorry..I gave some wrong information!!..the Light bulb is zoo med..and the light is a "flukers clamp lamp"...sorry i was confusing ppl

RobAndSunni

5 Year Member
Lancaster, England
You should make sure your leaving a decent amount of time between turning it on and off as I've heard that can cause blow outs

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RobAndSunni said:
You should make sure your leaving a decent amount of time between turning it on and off as I've heard that can cause blow outs

They usually won't come on right after turning off. They have to cool down a bit first.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
wellington said:
RobAndSunni said:

They usually won't come on right after turning off. They have to cool down a bit first.

i had it off overnight, went to put it on and it didnt work......oh well I get another one

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
hello,

I bought a new lightbulb today and put it in.. switched on the light and...nada...so i swapped the other bulb...still nothing...then I realized the light wasnt plugged into the wall!!....DUH!!...;):cool:

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
jojodesca said:
hello,

I bought a new lightbulb today and put it in.. switched on the light and...nada...so i swapped the other bulb...still nothing...then I realized the light wasnt plugged into the wall!!....DUH!!...;):cool:

was this also the problem with the first bulb you had to return?
:D

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:
jojodesca said:
hello,

was this also the problem with the first bulb you had to return?
:D

No that one was burned out.....i could see the wire thing was broken off...however...pet smart gave me $9 back on my purchase...ill put it to good use

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use Heat Emitters. I keep them on 24/7 during the Winter, and some are almost 2 years old. For a light I just use a 5.0 long tube UVB. This is for any Box Turtle that can't go out for the Winter and also for my Cherry Heads. I love the heat emitters. They last forever.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
wellington said:

Hey, just wondering.. what type of bulb are you using that is lasting 2-3 years??? thats a really good lifespan from a bulb. are we talking MVBs or just flood/spot lamp? Thanks

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
terryo said:
I use Heat Emitters. I keep them on 24/7 during the Winter, and some are almost 2 years old. For a light I just use a 5.0 long tube UVB. This is for any Box Turtle that can't go out for the Winter and also for my Cherry Heads. I love the heat emitters. They last forever.

Do u just have the heat emitters and the UVB bulb, because right now I have the UVB bulb (5.0 Repti-Sun) and a heat lamp that is a combination light . I dont know which would be better seeing as the UVB bulb also produces visible light.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I guess it's what ever species you have and their needs. I have box turtles and Cherry Head's in for the Winter months. Both require warm humidity and low light. That's why I like the long tube 5.0 UVB. I keep it on one side of the vivarum for the turtles with the heat emitter on the other side. For the Cherries, I keep it in the middle with a heat emitter on both sides, as they need warmer temperatures, and their vivariums are much bigger than the box turtle hatchlings that are inside. They don't have a warm side or a cold side. I keep the temperatures consistent through out their vivariums, and they don't have a basking light. Everyone does things different...this is just how I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.