My Herman’s Tortoise died suddenly…

TheLegendOfJose

Location (City and/or State)
Sun Valley
This is a very sad and disappointing post for me but I’m hoping I can get some insight on this whole situation so I can know what I should potentially do differently in the future.

The numbers and facts:

My tortoise was about 2.5 inches large, and several months old (I’m not sure exactly how many).

I had him just over 3 weeks.

His enclosure was wooden, open air, with a platform on top, where his food stayed, and a ramp that led up to it, which he seemed to enjoy going up and down as well as napping on. There were 2 basking areas available for him. 1 on the lower level, in the corner by the bottom of his ramp. The temperature at that basking area was averaging 90°. The second area was at the top of the ramp, had a bit of a larger diameter (as it was a larger dome and higher wattage), and averaged 96-100° (made from a Fluker's Sun Dome Reptile Lamp, 8.5
Diameter and a Exo-Terra Night Heat Lamp, 150 Watt bulb).This gave him options in the mercurial weather we’re having in California right now, and he tended to migrate between the two lamps whenever he pleased. The overhead bar light was attached above the middle of the enclosure to reach the entire surface (a Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture). Lastly, on the lower level he had a hiding hole half circle log he could rest in, although he never really did, which was framed by two organic pet grade grass plants, which he occasionally chewed on. His shallow water dish was pretty close to the area and he often would take a quick dip or take a drink.

His substrate contained a mixture of T-Rex Terra Mix Forest Bed Coconut Bark Reptile
Substrate, Zoo Med Forest Floor
Bedding, and Zoo Med Premium
Reptile Bark.

His feeding schedule:

Fed 2x a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. He was given a 10-15 minute soak in lukewarm water, (making sure to spoon a bit on his whole body) before both meals every day. This is often when he would defecate, which I could easily clean and then I’d weigh him once a week at this time.

Every day -a variety of spring mix without spinach. He also received 6 small mazurka pellets daily.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday - Calcium was sprinkled on his food at breakfast.

Mondays and Fridays - was given a bit of Timothy hay for fiber, as he seemed a bit constipated early on. He soon recovered after we introduced the hay.

Maybe once a week we’d treat him to a little bit of cucumber and 2 pieces of pre-shredded carrot.

Sorry for that long intro but I wanted to give you as much information as possible.

The story and behavior:
I received my first tortoise back in mid November and he was lethargic and hardly moved from Day 1. He only lasted two weeks before passing. When I talked to the store we bought him from they concluded that he was likely fragile as they can be that young (he was even smaller than the one this post is about) and that this can happen sometimes. They agreed for me to bring the tortoise in and exchange it for a new, and slightly older one, since it being older would lower the chances of an untimely passing.

Determined to keep this new little guy alive I threw myself into research and made his cage, feed and schedule the best I could, double checking with the reptile shop along the way.

I was really encouraged initially. He was very energetic. Traipsing around his enclosure, very curious and making the most of his space. Everything was perfect. That lasted for about two weeks. For the last week he slowed down a bit, which I know is normal given the temperature/season, as well as the fact that he’d now settled into his environment. But he was eating well and I wasn’t too concerned. That is, until 5 days ago. He began moving less and less as well as not eating very much and I grew concerned.

The shop told me to always call if I needed any help or advice ever so I gave them a call. I described the details of his state and they said that it sounded like I’d done everything right and had he been losing weight. I told them that he’d gone from 32g to 45g and they said that was a good sign and that this behavior was likely season/weather induced. They told me to keep an eye on him and if he hadn’t changed in a week I should bring him in so they could take a look. He unfortunately didn’t make it that long and died two days later.

We called the shop again, hoping for any explanation. We were very discouraged at this point and wondering if we should just stop while we’re not ahead with this whole tortoise thing. After all, some people greatly neglect their tortoises and they still thrive, while we went to great lengths to give our tortoise a healthy and full life and he still passed. After we fully flushed out the situation with the man, who actually seemed quite qualified, he was at a loss. Nothing we were doing should have caused him to pass - we were doing everything right - and even if we did, he should never have declined so quickly. He essentially only survived a week after first displaying symptoms. The man kindly told me that it sadly can happen, while uncommon, where they have some sort of preexisting condition we can’t know about and don’t make it and that it was just rotten luck and a coincidence it happened twice in a row. I even asked if environmental factors were possible but none of the questions I answered indicated to him they were. He suggested if we wanted to try again to get a bit of an older one, 4-5 inches, so it can be very established. But I always wanted to care for a baby and watch it grow up. And I’m not ready to jump back into turtle parenthood right now tbh.

The only thing worth noting which I remembered after talked to the reptile store is that my tortoise within hours of passing had some bubbles come from his mouth. I researched it at the time and it said it could be a sign of a respiratory infection but that it would take weeks to develop and over those weeks he’d have had other symptoms such as a cough which he didn’t. The reptile shop said the same and that he couldn’t have developed one and died within such a short window. Is it possible he could have choked on a piece of substrate? I saw him chewing a piece once or twice despite being right next to his food. He dropped it and went for the food and I assumed he was being curious in his new space.

I’m so sorry for the long post but wanted to give any relevant information in hopes that someone might be able to provide any kind of explanation or insight. I really want to own a tortoise but not if it’ll just die again.

Thank you so much for any and all help you can give.

tldr: my tortoise declined quickly and died suddenly after I went to great lengths to provide a healthy diet, feeding schedule, care and enclosure and I’m at a loss as to why. Should I still try to raise a tortoise?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What kind of tortoise? Do you have pictures of the enclosure, that might help. Most important sorry for your loss.

TheLegendOfJose

Sun Valley
What kind of tortoise? Do you have pictures of the enclosure, that might help. Most important sorry for your loss.
So sorry. Forgot to mention. They were both Hermman from the same Reptile shop. Thank you. I appreciate it.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi, and welcome! I'm sorry that your torts passed?
You did absolutely your best, sadly, petshops sell torts which were hatched and questionably started.
Petshops also give the wrong info.
This is the caresheet for them
Babies should be kept in a closed enclosure, to keep humidity high and to stop pyramiding
Other members will also tell you that 3 weeks is way too short for you to cause harm to your tort, so it would perhaps be best to ask the petshop for a refund.
I received my first tortoise back in mid November and he was lethargic and hardly moved from Day 1. He only lasted two weeks before passing. When I talked to the store we bought him from they concluded that he was likely fragile as they can be that young (he was even smaller than the one this post is about) and that this can happen sometimes. They agreed for me to bring the tortoise in and exchange it for a new, and slightly older one, since it being older would lower the chances of an untimely passing.
This makes alarm bells go off. The petshop gave you an ill baby (so they most likely got it from another seller or middelman) which passed.
They then give you another in a short span of time, and another tort passed. I'd ask for a refund if I were you.
Can I tell you a secret?
Torts are a learning curve, almost every single member on this forum has had their first tort die because of outdated care info, wrong practices, bad info from petshops and wrongly started or ill torts sold in petshops, this has also happened to me, but the moment you use the info on this amazing forum, things will go stellar!
Your care seemed quite close to the caresheet, so I do doubt it was something you did, can you send images of the substrate?

Hzwolun

Fairfax County VA
Usually, babies die because they are weak hatchlings, hate to say it but not all tortoises babies can survive in this world. For weak babies, you gonna need more experienced care with tons of time. As retailer/seller responsibility is given the buyer a heads up and not charge the same price for a unhealthy hatchling. matter of fact don't sell at all.
So yeah before you buy something, please look for a reputation breeder/seller.

TheLegendOfJose

Sun Valley
Usually, babies die because they are weak hatchlings, hate to say it but not all tortoises babies can survive in this world. For weak babies, you gonna need more experienced care with tons of time. As retailer/seller responsibility is given the buyer a heads up and not charge the same price for a unhealthy hatchling. matter of fact don't sell at all.
So yeah before you buy something, please look for a reputation breeder/seller.
How would I know if said seller is reputable? Is there a website that's legit and cares for its torts?

Hzwolun

Fairfax County VA
It takes experience to find out whether the tortoises are healthy or not.
What I do is, before I buy torts/turtles I always ask the seller's phone number for videos.
front/back pics/videos. I can immediately tell if the species is healthy and how he reacts to the hand grab.
their eyes, plastron. Also a good healthy eating video, ( trust me you don't want to buy torts that don't eat)

I think https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/ is a good site, or ask local rep breeder.
don't go to Petco/Petsmart the employee who works there prob doesn't know anything. Most of turtle/torts there is field grab anyway

TheLegendOfJose

Sun Valley
Hi, and welcome! I'm sorry that your torts passed?
You did absolutely your best, sadly, petshops sell torts which were hatched and questionably started.
Petshops also give the wrong info.
This is the caresheet for them
Babies should be kept in a closed enclosure, to keep humidity high and to stop pyramiding
Other members will also tell you that 3 weeks is way too short for you to cause harm to your tort, so it would perhaps be best to ask the petshop for a refund.

This makes alarm bells go off. The petshop gave you an ill baby (so they most likely got it from another seller or middelman) which passed.
They then give you another in a short span of time, and another tort passed. I'd ask for a refund if I were you.
Can I tell you a secret?
Torts are a learning curve, almost every single member on this forum has had their first tort die because of outdated care info, wrong practices, bad info from petshops and wrongly started or ill torts sold in petshops, this has also happened to me, but the moment you use the info on this amazing forum, things will go stellar!
Your care seemed quite close to the caresheet, so I do doubt it was something you did, can you send images of the substrate?
Hey, thank you so much for all this information. As far as getting a refund, I really doubt they will refund me as they gave me a second tort when I brought back the first. I used a mixture of all the substrate I stated in my post but heres 2 picturesi have. I tried to keep it humid by spraying it 2x a day(mornings and evenings when bathing him). 20220108_154026.jpg20220108_153456.jpg

Attachments

• 20220108_153456.jpg
    20220108_153456.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220108_154026.jpg
    20220108_154026.jpg
    12.2 MB · Views: 3

Chariya

Ca.
I would recommend Arizona Tortoise Compound, bought 3 Russian hatchlings from Andy and all were healthy and I bought 2-4" Female Russians from Ryan at Southern Reptiles. Both Andy and Ryan are helpful. Ryan has some Eastern Hermanns hatchlings on his website.

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
This is a very sad and disappointing post for me but I’m hoping I can get some insight on this whole situation so I can know what I should potentially do differently in the future.

The numbers and facts:

My tortoise was about 2.5 inches large, and several months old (I’m not sure exactly how many).

His enclosure was wooden, open air, with a platform on top, where his food stayed, and a ramp that led up to it, which he seemed to enjoy going up and down as well as napping on. There were 2 basking areas available for him. 1 on the lower level, in the corner by the bottom of his ramp. The temperature at that basking area was averaging 90°. The second area was at the top of the ramp, had a bit of a larger diameter (as it was a larger dome and higher wattage), and averaged 96-100° (made from a Fluker's Sun Dome Reptile Lamp, 8.5
Diameter and a Exo-Terra Night Heat Lamp, 150 Watt bulb).This gave him options in the mercurial weather we’re having in California right now, and he tended to migrate between the two lamps whenever he pleased. The overhead bar light was attached above the middle of the enclosure to reach the entire surface (a Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture). Lastly, on the lower level he had a hiding hole half circle log he could rest in, although he never really did, which was framed by two organic pet grade grass plants, which he occasionally chewed on. His shallow water dish was pretty close to the area and he often would take a quick dip or take a drink.

His substrate contained a mixture of T-Rex Terra Mix Forest Bed Coconut Bark Reptile
Reptile Bark.

His feeding schedule:

Fed 2x a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. He was given a 10-15 minute soak in lukewarm water, (making sure to spoon a bit on his whole body) before both meals every day. This is often when he would defecate, which I could easily clean and then I’d weigh him once a week at this time.

Every day -a variety of spring mix without spinach. He also received 6 small mazurka pellets daily.

Mondays and Fridays - was given a bit of Timothy hay for fiber, as he seemed a bit constipated early on. He soon recovered after we introduced the hay.

Maybe once a week we’d treat him to a little bit of cucumber and 2 pieces of pre-shredded carrot.

Sorry for that long intro but I wanted to give you as much information as possible.

The story and behavior:

Determined to keep this new little guy alive I threw myself into research and made his cage, feed and schedule the best I could, double checking with the reptile shop along the way.

I was really encouraged initially. He was very energetic. Traipsing around his enclosure, very curious and making the most of his space. Everything was perfect. That lasted for about two weeks. For the last week he slowed down a bit, which I know is normal given the temperature/season, as well as the fact that he’d now settled into his environment. But he was eating well and I wasn’t too concerned. That is, until 5 days ago. He began moving less and less as well as not eating very much and I grew concerned.

The shop told me to always call if I needed any help or advice ever so I gave them a call. I described the details of his state and they said that it sounded like I’d done everything right and had he been losing weight. I told them that he’d gone from 32g to 45g and they said that was a good sign and that this behavior was likely season/weather induced. They told me to keep an eye on him and if he hadn’t changed in a week I should bring him in so they could take a look. He unfortunately didn’t make it that long and died two days later.

We called the shop again, hoping for any explanation. We were very discouraged at this point and wondering if we should just stop while we’re not ahead with this whole tortoise thing. After all, some people greatly neglect their tortoises and they still thrive, while we went to great lengths to give our tortoise a healthy and full life and he still passed. After we fully flushed out the situation with the man, who actually seemed quite qualified, he was at a loss. Nothing we were doing should have caused him to pass - we were doing everything right - and even if we did, he should never have declined so quickly. He essentially only survived a week after first displaying symptoms. The man kindly told me that it sadly can happen, while uncommon, where they have some sort of preexisting condition we can’t know about and don’t make it and that it was just rotten luck and a coincidence it happened twice in a row. I even asked if environmental factors were possible but none of the questions I answered indicated to him they were. He suggested if we wanted to try again to get a bit of an older one, 4-5 inches, so it can be very established. But I always wanted to care for a baby and watch it grow up. And I’m not ready to jump back into turtle parenthood right now tbh.

The only thing worth noting which I remembered after talked to the reptile store is that my tortoise within hours of passing had some bubbles come from his mouth. I researched it at the time and it said it could be a sign of a respiratory infection but that it would take weeks to develop and over those weeks he’d have had other symptoms such as a cough which he didn’t. The reptile shop said the same and that he couldn’t have developed one and died within such a short window. Is it possible he could have choked on a piece of substrate? I saw him chewing a piece once or twice despite being right next to his food. He dropped it and went for the food and I assumed he was being curious in his new space.

I’m so sorry for the long post but wanted to give any relevant information in hopes that someone might be able to provide any kind of explanation or insight. I really want to own a tortoise but not if it’ll just die again.

tldr: my tortoise declined quickly and died suddenly after I went to great lengths to provide a healthy diet, feeding schedule, care and enclosure and I’m at a loss as to why. Should I still try to raise a tortoise?
Doubly tough to go thru this with 2 baby torts & i'm sorry you've gone thru this & mystified by your experience. As you will see as you search the forum, if the baby wasn't started correctly by the breeder--daily soaks, temps above 80 deg F & higher humidity above 80%--they can suffer organ distress that they never overcome, especially the kidneys. They go from being active & alert & eating to lethargic, not eating & simply die. And likely the pet shop didn't take any better care of the tort than the breeder.

When you are ready again, we do suggest staying away from pet shops & internet sites & look here on the forum for both favorable & unfavorable reviews of Internet sites & Tortoise Forum member breeders/ sellers.

Also, look into Care Sheets on the forum to give you the most current info on tortoise care, building or buying enclosures, edible weeds & flowers & much, much more.

You don't have to rush into anything. Read. Ask questions. We are here to help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You are on the right website by being here, you can trust and depend on the information given by the experts here! I am not an expert but I have been here long enough to know that it's a good place to learn and get advice.
My opinion about your experience is that it's all the fault of the pet shop. Not you to blame.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When you get right down to it: all you really have to do to ensure that you give your tortoise the best possible chance to thrive:
Make sure all the correct conditions for that species, of temperature and humidity, substrate and setup and diet, are in place. If your tortoise is healthy in the first place, you should have no problems.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So, a couple of thing's . . .Babies NEED enclosed environments more so than adults....They need High humidity to thrive. You can never get the humidity, nor the heat high enough for them to grow.
When you mention spraying the substrate, that was not likely enough moisture. Every 4 or 5 days, I'd end up dumping 3 quarts to a gallon of water over the substrate for my tort....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually, babies die because they are weak hatchlings, hate to say it but not all tortoises babies can survive in this world.
This is totally wrong, and this falsehood was started and is perpetuated by breeders who don't start babies correctly, and people who don't care for babies correctly. If they hatch, make it out of their shell on their own, and absorb their yolk sac without issue, there is no reason they shouldn't all survive. All of mine do. 100%. That is not luck or coincidence. People simply do not understand how to start hatchlings, and almost no one does it correctly. It is just lucky that so many actually survive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The numbers and facts:

Reptile Bark.

His feeding schedule:

The story and behavior:

Here are my thoughts:

1. Its difficult to maintain the correct condition in an open topped enclosure. It sounds like your temps were fine, and you were doing okay, so I don't think this was the COD.
2. The food and water bowls aren't suitable for tortoises, but also not the COD.
3. Spring mix is a poor tortoise food because the baby greens lack fiber, and tortoises need fiber. Adding the hay replaces the fiber, but that is a tough way to go for this species since they are not grass eaters, and hay is usually not eaten by Babis of any species. Did you see him actually eat the hay. Timothy hay is too stemmy and not good even for hay eating species. I suspect the hay might have blocked him up if he was eating it, and if he wasn't eating it, I suspect he ate some substrate in an attempt to make up for the lack of fiber in the diet, and that blocked him up. The vet should be able to quickly open him up and check the GI tract for impaction without it costing too much. The Mazuri should have been compensating for the poor diet as well, and adding fiber, so while this is a possibility, I still don't think it was the COD.
4. Did you see my response to Hzwolun in post number 15 above this one? Most breeder simply do not start babies correctly. It is usually less of a problem with the Testudo species when compared to sulcatas or desert tortoises, but many breeders leave them outside all day, don't soak daily, skip the brooder box step, use the wrong incubation media, leave them in the incubator too long on the media, don't introduce the right foods or a good variety, etc... This thread will explain in more detail:

In summary, the care you were offering was not perfect, but it was very good, and your tortoise should have been thriving with what you were doing. I suspect your mistake was buying from the wrong source.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside

The numbers and facts:

Reptile Bark.

His feeding schedule:

The story and behavior:

I have no advice to offer other than to tell you to avoid pet shops when buying animals. Very rarely pet shops give correct care to their animals, and often times this means that the animals can pick up harmful habits due to stress (Think feather plucking in birds), have stunted growth or struggle to reach growth milestones, or have irreversible damage done to them from early, or extensive lack of correct husbandry.

My own tortoise is a pet shop tortoise, where they only soaked their hatchlings once a week, and refused access to any water in the enclosure. They were feeding him spinach and some other kind of dark leafy greens which appeared similar to that of cabbage. The enclosure was bone dry, and he was wandering around on substrate similar to that of cat litter.

Fortunately, he is still alive today, but being in those conditions has caused some issues regarding his growth, and I noted that the store I got him from had similar issues, alongside issues of animals suddenly dying, or becoming seriously ill after being brought home.

You don’t need training or certification in tortoise husbandry to sell tortoises unfortunately (At least here) and so that means that many places who are able to nab tortoises will keep them in conditions advised against by breeders. And unfortunately, they often get away with doing so.

tldr: Pet stores are not great, they are notorious for bad husbandry and giving incorrect information to first time animal keepers. Maybe check local breeders, breeders on this site, or local reptile rescues, where you have a higher chance of success with your tortoise?

Don’t be afraid to ask questions <3

Bracknell

The numbers and facts:

Reptile Bark.

His feeding schedule:

The story and behavior:

Hi ya . Do not be so hard on yourself unfortunately the mortality rate in hatchling is quite high and this is why we do not get them registered in the u.k until they are 2 years , and this is why the tortoise lay lots of eggs because some just will not thrive . Very sad for you must heart breaking , god bless you x

Gallagher6

NY
I just had this happen to me with my Herman’s tortoise that I got from a breeder in Florida. She was shipped to me about 3 weeks ago and seemed to be doing fine up till yesterday and we just found her dead this morning. We don’t understand, we did everything right we thought!!! Your post helped me only because I’m not alone. I feel your pain as my own in your post. I was using reptibark as substrate and am blaming it on that. I was about to change her enclosure today to a custom built 3x6 enclosure and change out the substrate to topsoil. I’m really am so sad about this. Did you ever figure anything out or get another tortoise?