My Hermann tortoise has a greyish white spot on shell where it should be black

Mangooo

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
I tried rubbing oil on the area with a toothbrush and it didn't do anything. Maybe it's got something to do with the nutrients he's getting? I've been feeding him dandelions/clovers from the wild so I'm wondering if it could be the result of pesticides, too much oxalic acid or protein...any advice would be greatly appreciated
20220602_120800~2.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I tried rubbing oil on the area with a toothbrush and it didn't do anything. Maybe it's got something to do with the nutrients he's getting? I've been feeding him dandelions/clovers from the wild so I'm wondering if it could be the result of pesticides, too much oxalic acid or protein...any advice would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to the forum - your tortoise is lovely.
Have you had him long? Could it be the residue from a label stuck on him by his previous owner or breeder ? Dandelions and clovers are ideal foods, as long as you wash them well first.
Angie

Mangooo

Toronto
Have you had him long? Could it be the residue from a label stuck on him by his previous owner or breeder ? Dandelions and clovers are ideal foods, as long as you wash them well first.
Angie
I have had him since January and the spot appeared about a month ago, around early May. I started feeding him wild dandelions and clovers once the weather warmed up, so around late March. Before then I was purchasing dandelions from a grocery store. Since the spot showed up a month into feeding him wild dandelions, I wonder if it could have something to do with it. I've also been giving him filtered water to drink...would distilled be better for him?

Mangooo

Toronto
Angie
I would rinse the dandelions and clovers quickly under tap water...should I be soaking them instead?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have had him since January and the spot appeared about a month ago, around early May. I started feeding him wild dandelions and clovers once the weather warmed up, so around late March. Before then I was purchasing dandelions from a grocery store. Since the spot showed up a month into feeding him wild dandelions, I wonder if it could have something to do with it. I've also been giving him filtered water to drink...would distilled be better for him?
I am not an expert, though I have had Zola, a Hermanns too, for 21 years - but I wonder if it is something in his environment which is causing this - the shell being rubbed on something - or possibly just new growth taking place, in which case it will gradually become hard and brown.
I hope someone who knows more than me will reply soon, as I know how one feels when worrying about such things.I don't think it is to do with the water, anyway, but it might be a good idea to soak the leaves for a short time - just in case.
Angie

Mangooo

Toronto
I am not an expert, though I have had Zola, a Hermanns too, for 21 years - but I wonder if it is something in his environment which is causing this - the shell being rubbed on something - or possibly just new growth taking place, in which case it will gradually become hard and brown.
I hope someone who knows more than me will reply soon, as I know how one feels when worrying about such things.I don't think it is to do with the water, anyway, but it might be a good idea to soak the leaves for a short time - just in case.
Angie
Okay I will do that. Thank you for your advice! I hope you have a great day.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I've also been giving him filtered water to drink...would distilled be better for him?
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the gray spot. However, it would be best if you just use plain tap water for him to drink. If your water is safe for you, then it's safe for him.

Filtered or distilled...the goal is the same: to remove all the minerals out of the water. He needs those minerals to be healthy and strong. The tap should be used for drinking, soaking, and spritzing his greens. The only time distilled is valuable is to spritz him off after his soak. The tap water sometimes leaves stains on the shell, just like in your sink. A spray with distilled will wash off the tap water and not leave hard water stains as it dries.

Mangooo

Toronto
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the gray spot. However, it would be best if you just use plain tap water for him to drink. If your water is safe for you, then it's safe for him.

Filtered or distilled...the goal is the same: to remove all the minerals out of the water. He needs those minerals to be healthy and strong. The tap should be used for drinking, soaking, and spritzing his greens. The only time distilled is valuable is to spritz him off after his soak. The tap water sometimes leaves stains on the shell, just like in your sink. A spray with distilled will wash off the tap water and not leave hard water stains as it dries.
I see some information online that says it's not safe and to filter it but since I'm seeing a lot of tortoise owners here including you saying to just give him tap water, I will trust that and do that from now on. Thank you for your advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like something silver-colored was dropped on him. Have you tried to scrub it off?

Mangooo

Toronto
Looks like something silver-colored was dropped on him. Have you tried to scrub it off?
Yes I did and it didn't do anything. He was fine one night and the very next morning the black spot that was suppose to be there was completely silver. I had fed him some wild lilac flowers for the first time the morning of the day before. But according to the tortoisetable.org.uk it says they're safe to feed. I'd say that about 95% of his diet is wild dandelions and 5% wild clovers. I'm thinking it could be the lilacs, or possible herbicides/pesticides in any of the wild plants I've been giving him. Do you think I should take him to the vet? He's still active and eating as much as he normally does.