My hermanns enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller07

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Caerphilly, South wales UK
Hiya :D Just thought I'd share some pics of my hermann hatchling Roxys enclosure.... Any suggestions for improvment much appriciated =D

a2cf6fbc-7c0f-4404-9a20-7996882350c5.jpg

bd7dc29e-5143-4169-971d-ea4624c206cd.jpg

786a08b3-8739-4770-bacf-6c0c1dbe4c4a.jpg

06043b3b-e22e-4be4-a6d4-84a5bb136c0c.jpg

19ebebf8-5bf8-49db-9c78-e53efc4f5ac0.jpg

Thanks for looking =D x

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
interesting! would those be harmful if ingested? because mine would definitely snack on those! Btw I love the turtle lamp on top, so cute :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not harmful. Oystershell is another source of calcium. Is fed frequently to chickens.

Beautiful habitat! I would have loved to see the tortoise in one of the shots, though. What are the two lights? And are two necessary? And why are they in the same place?

Miller07

5 Year Member
No it was suggested to me by other tort owners and I've read lots of people saying the use it. It's just to add some diff texture for the tort. she did eat a peace when I first put it in there but she passed it no problem. Thank I love my lamp =D x

emysemys said:
No, not harmful. Oystershell is another source of calcium. Is fed frequently to chickens.

Beautiful habitat! I would have loved to see the tortoise in one of the shots, though. What are the two lights? And are two necessary? And why are they in the same place?

Thanks. One is a spot lamp bulb for heat and the other is a compact uv bulb so yes the two are necessary =D and their in the same area so she gets the uv whilst basking =D x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those compact fluorescent bulbs have been known to cause eye problems in tortoises.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice enclosure, I really like it :D. Where did you find the plants? Are they fake? They look nice :)

Miller07

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, Roxy loves it. All the plants are fake apart from the two little spider plants I attempted to grow in there for her but they just got trampledon,eaten and died lol x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the little extras that make it more like a home and cute. Have you thought about using anything like long strand spagnum moss in the hide for humidty?

Miller07

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I love the little extras that make it more like a home and cute. Have you thought about using anything like long strand spagnum moss in the hide for humidty?
Hi Jacqui thanks for your comments =D No I hadn't thought of doing this because to be honest I was under the impression that moss was used for redfoots etc is it spelt like Sphagnum Moss? just wanna check that I buy the rite stuff and does it have to be long strand? x

M

Maggie Cummings

I love this habitat. It is homey and cute. I especially love the little house in the corner.

Like Yvonne I am concerned about the bulb. I had a hatchling that was blinded by those bulbs. Here's a link to explain about what happened, but it's old now and I am sure the problems have been fixed. But do some research and make sure.

And post some pictures of your tort in his great habitat...:)

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm#intro

Status
Not open for further replies.