My Ibera Greek Has Brown Roy looking spot bottom of shell.

Location (City and/or State)
Boise ID
I’m kind of new to tortoises. So he has a little spot that has been growing it looks like almost rot. What should I do should I take him to a vet. What does he need to stop it from happening. I’m very scared for him I don’t know what it’s from or how to stop it. Thank you

Attachments

• FD4FEF21-6420-48CF-9C1E-D34FE48E41DE.jpeg
    FD4FEF21-6420-48CF-9C1E-D34FE48E41DE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's where the yolk was attached when he was in the egg. It should dry up and fall off soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m kind of new to tortoises. So he has a little spot that has been growing it looks like almost rot. What should I do should I take him to a vet. What does he need to stop it from happening. I’m very scared for him I don’t know what it’s from or how to stop it. Thank you
That is some sort of infection. The yolk sac is at the lower junction, not up there, and this is not a hatchling, so that shouldn't be a factor here. I would treat it with betadine one time. Just dab it on and let it dry. Then treat with Vetricyn for a few days after that.

What type of substrate are you using and how wet is it? Let's try to figure out why this happened.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I totally missed the location, sorry!

You can buy Betadine at the pharmacy. And the Veterycin some pet stores carry it, otherwise online.

Boise ID
I used the veterycin and it helped. The brown spot is gone. But a little part has of the spot has some blood. What should I dot to prevent this from happening again. He is using forest floor suostrate and I keep it dry.