Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't include the liquid vit. in the sub-q injection.

Yvonne

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
To everyone....The vet referred me to another vet which I am getting ready to go to at this very moment. I will update you when I get home. This guy is the exotics vet for the Oregon Zoo!

She is very weak today so I am hoping for good news! Maybe this guy will be our savior!!

terrypin~ thanks so much! I will take all and any advise anyone has to offer! I have a mvb in her enclosure! Everything seems right! I even went out and bought a new thermometer because I was worried that mine was wrong.

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
So disappointed, got a call on my way to the vet and was postponed. Vet had an out of office emergency. Next available appointment is Saturday afternoon! I don't think I have that long so I called every other vet in the area. A couple said they would call back but nothing yet! GRRRRR!!

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
please tell me treshell, when you say water, you mean sterile iv solution??? Can torts have tap water injected under their skin? I would be worried about infection.

treshell

5 Year Member
Still a work in progress. The sterile iv solution I have used was when I was in Oriental med school. It had a glucose part. That was in Seattle WA. The water from the WA taps was only fit for making coffee. Now I live on a 'wild and free' river. The well is deep, the water cold and has no contamination. No cattle or farms between me and Yellowstone. In a type of Tradition Chinese Medicine the point gets a few drops of a solution sub-q either with plain boiled water, often having added small amount of a number of mild solutions. Haven't done that yet. However I can report that Toto was very brave and took to needles with out a sound nor did she move. I will never know if it helps because I am using basically a 'shot gun' approach. I don't care if acupuncture works. I just want her to be healthy.
Treshell

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i see you use a mvb for lighting,my own hatchlings have a megaray combi with a fluorescent tube running the full length one side of their table ,this way the whole table is very bright.they have a choice of dry and humid hides to escape the light.your diet appears good .my backgrund temperature is about 75f with a basking slate heated to 95f.other than daily bathing i also have a tray of garden turf for graze and water they can walk right into whenever they wish.it sounds like this hatchling came to you with problems already and i really hope your vet can help.when they first hatch some eat fairly quickly and others it takes a day or two but onces they start they are like a hoard of locust's.im just amazed the breeder sold an animal that was'nt feeding well.i really hope this little guy picks up and starts to improve.
terry

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Yesterday was vet day! She said her eyes looked good and no signs of other infections or illness. Now, we need to get her eating and her shell hardened. I guess typically they would tube feed but Jamali is too small so we are just going to try force feeding a little baby food and neo cal. She did fine with it yesterday. Here's onto day two!

treshell

5 Year Member
good news Yea, Thanks for getting back to us. Exactly how are you 'forcing' her? Are there any possibility of hurting her. As I look over this list it seems a lot of us have trouble getting the tiny Leos to eat.
treshell

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Could it be that you are doing too much? Stressing her out? If you leave her alone.. what does she do? Torts are shy creatures and too much interferance can be bad.. but its hard to tell..

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
treshell~I have read your thread and since your leo is eating I wouldn't try force feeding! My vet advised against it accept for now since Jamali hadn't eaten in nearly two weeks. No, I don't think it is hurting her but there is that possibility if not done correctly. If you feel that there is something wrong with your little leo, why not see a veterinarian?

Laura~If left alone, I am afraid we would have one dead tortoise.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She still has not eaten? What's her weight now?

I'll be honest, I am surprised that she has made it this long....
I will be thrilled for you if she pulls through. She's one tough little tortoise.

treshell

5 Year Member
tortelini said:
treshell~I have read your thread and since your leo is eating

- sorry to highjack-
Turns out we aren't getting much food down Toto. He was just playing with us. About all he is getting down is from his soak. His soak has baby food carrots, powdered wheat grass, chopped buffalo grass, boiled water and pedialyte light. I don't put the pedialyte in until he has drink a little of the water mix. The other thing I am seeing now is that the lower shell is movable sort of like the cranial movement you see in a child. Not exactly soft but the shell is vary articulate. He also has movement in/out with breathing. So much to learn and so little time. No vets with in at least 200 miles that are willing to see him. I do have the Dr in front of my name but its in Chinese Meds. I am comfortable with most ways of getting meds in. However they didn't teach us about tortoise. I am looking at manuals but with little hope.

treshell

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Treshell, I think if your little one is going to make it you might need to make that long drive to a vet. Sounds as if Toto is not doing well and really, really needs a vets help.

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
She has only lost three grams this entire time. Alot in the big picture I suppose, but not nearly as bad as it could be. I know we are not out of the danger zone yet but she seems more active day after day!!

treshell

5 Year Member
I should have said that I called every vet with in 200 miles. The only one I know of is in WA state. I live in WY. If I could make the trip I would certainly go that far. However to do that would take 2 days each way. I would have to pack up Mom (83 yr)enough OZ to care us all that time. I can't drive and so my son would drive. Plus that would leave the stock , dogs, cats etc etc, for 4 days. What I should have done long ago is pack Toto up and ship him to family in WA. Now I am pretty sure Toto couldn't make the trip.
treshell

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Where in Wyoming are you located? Here is a list of herp vets in WY

Keith James
Gillette Vet Clinic
POB 429
Gillette 82717
307-682-4586

Big Horn Animal Clinic
2417 Coffeen Ave
Sheridan 82801
307-674-7133

Cheyenne Pet Clinic
3740 E. Lincoln Way
Cheyenne 82001
307- 635-4121

The Animal Hospital
2060 Fairgrounds Rd
Casper 82064
307-266-1660

Since there are other states obviously between you and Washington State we could most definitely find you a suitable vet closer to your area! I noticed you said that you went to Billings....Meaning Billings Montana?? Here's herp vets in Montana....Look, one in Billings!!

Jevon Clark
Animal Hospital
2330 Amherst
Butte
(406) 494-4044

E. Jordan
Moore Lane Vet Hospital
50 Moore Lane
Billings 59101
406-252-4159

Mark T. Kleitz
Eastgate Veterinary Clinic
1001 East Broadway
Missoula
(406) 728-0095

Joseph W. Thompson
Southgate Animal Hospital
2500 Garfield Street
Missoula
(406) 542-3785

Shoni L. Card
Pruyn Veterinary Hospital
2501 Russell
Missoula
(406) 251-4150

Just for kicks, I called Billings! They do tortoises! SCORE!!!

treshell

5 Year Member
"Just for kicks, I called Billings! They do tortoises! SCORE!!!"

I live in Clark WY 82435, not on most maps but as the crow flys I'm 30 miles from Yellowstone. You are amazing!! Thank You so much for finding this vet for toto.
E. Jordan
Moore Lane Vet Hospital
50 Moore Lane
Billings 59101
406-252-4159

You have given me hope. OK now I am going to cry.
God Bless
treshell jones

treshell

5 Year Member
A post to catch up on Toto, the rest of the story. Toto is a guest of Dr Ken until St Patty's day. His problems sound pretty much having a novice owner. By the way on care sheets - the Breeder sent I read it many times when Toto came. I read it again last night and it is very different now that I know more. Its the little things that pasted me by on the first read. Toto needs more Calcium, different bedding (esp no play sand). The food you folks have me feeding now is great, as is the light system. Also plant a crop of grass for him to graze at will and Baths for 30 minutes. Water left in Toto Palace. It is not a done deal that Toto ill live until St Patty's day. IF you folks can remember please to add Toto in your prayers. It would be a real shame if Toto didn't make it because I just didn't understand his true needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.