my lil leopard refuses to eat~advise pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
I'm sorry to hear your baby hasn't eating, and glad she seems to be responding. It's hard to watch and wait and look for improvement. Positive thoughts out to both of you.

Dawna

M

Maggie Cummings

tortelini said:
Yeah, we took her back in. The vet comes highly recommended and I trust him, but I feel helpless. I see signs she is improving but I'm worried that it's going to take too long to get her back eating. I'll keep trying though. Today she seems listless again while yesterday she was moving around with her eyes open. I live in Oregon and it's just too cold right now to get her outside. I wish this was easier. I'm constantly checking on her and I'm always worried I'm going to find that she's died. She probably wishes I'd just leave her alone already!

Do you have a good Vet there? I have a really good Vet here and I'd be glad to help you if you want. Let me know cuz we are not that far apart and I'd be glad to help you all I can...I don't mean to tell you what to do, but I would only soak her once a day. I'd soak in carrots in the morning for about 15 minutes, then I'd put her in a pile of food. In the evening I'd wake her up and mess with her some and offer food again, but I think soaking again in the evening is too much. But I would wake her up and carry her around some and just generally mess with her. Do you have radicchio there? Torts can't seem to resist red stuff and I'd get some radicchio and fan her face with some and just keep doing that for a bit. Just gently fan her face with a red leaf...Please let me know if I can help you...I'll bring you some of that if you want...you're only 40 miles away...

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Thanks Maggie! I do have raddicchio in the euro blend that I buy. I also bought red bell pepper and have been grating carrot once in a while too. My 2 year old daughter comes running when she sees the red pepper thinking it's her treat lol. I will cut down her soaks to just once also. I thought I had a good vet but would travel if there was someone you recommend!

I don't have any really recent pics, but here's one taken a week ago, it was just a few days after she quit eating!
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/teetotalito/abc.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Has her shell hardened up at all?? I am really surprised that she has gone this long without eating...she's so little. What was her purchase weight and scl, versus what it is now??

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Her shell is no better...no worse either. She was just under 2"scl and 1 ounce when I got her. She is now just 5 grams. Just under an ounce.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What? My hatchling that Danny has is 43 grams and 2 1/4 inch scl....

There is 28 grams in an oz. I think there is something wrong with your scale...

Have you gotten any food into her yet?

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings again ~

Glad to hear the vet gave her a shot of vitamins, and that she was moving about with eyeballs open yesterday ~ that is a great sign. You know, if she expended alot of energy yesterday, she may well be exhausted again today. Was there any mention of you giving her vitamin shots until you can get some more small bites in her? Just a thought.

It's a shame it's so cold there to go outside, but even 20 minutes a day of real sunshine would 'prolly do wonders, dang...

Keep on trying, Dear, it surely sounds as tho you are covering all of the bases...
Prayers,
Purpod

P.S. ~ She is an adorable lil' thing :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
~Dani, I have no advice or even suggestions. I am only posting well wishes for you and your little one. Hugs to you both. sounds as if you are getting good advice. good luck with her, she is a sweety.

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Sorry...I was in a hurry and just counted the lines...lol! She is appx. 25 grams! I called and asked how old she is and they think 6 months old. I am not at all familiar with how big a hatchling should be at 6 mos but she seems so tiny!! She has not eaten but is holding on. I took her outside today for about 5 minutes until clouds started to come our way. Crossing my fingers. Vet tomorrow, what should I be asking for like tests, treatments etc? Do you think they will force feed her? Does anyone think this sounds like mbd?

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally would ask that she be tube fed some Critical Care and I would not allow any vitamin injections...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is most definately MBD Dani.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Can something this little come back from that? what is a healthy weight for a 6 mos old leo hatchling?

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
My vet appointment is later this afternoon. Today is particularly sunny so I took Wilson's old tort table and put paper towels in the bottom and put Jamali on our back porch. There is a breeze that is cold so I also put her heat lamp in so I can keep her temps up! Is this set up okay just to get her some natural sunlight? If not, let me know soon!!

It's amazing, her eyes are open and she's running around all over out there. This is the most active she has been since we got her. I grated some carrot and cut up some fresh red pepper and offered it to her outside. So far nothing but I'm not giving up hope! Let's hope the sun sticks around for awhile!

M

Maggie Cummings

Quite possibly she's not eating because she is not recognizing red peppers as food. Have you tried feeding her Spring mix and different lettuces? I understand you are trying to feed her a healthy diet but just maybe a simple lettuce diet might turn the trick. Then after she's eating you can offer things like the peppers. I see in rereading the thread that you have bought a euro blend of lettuces and that is what I would offer her at every meal. I have 2 small tortoises right now that aren't doing very good and so every morning the first thing I do is to give them a warm soak. When the water cools I put them in front of the food. If they walk away I put them back. If they close theirs eyes I pick them up and shake them a little. I pick pieces of lettuce and bump their noses or fan their faces. I keep messing with them until they either eat or I lose patience with them. This morning after about 20 minutes of this messing around one of them started eating. I have noticed this in the past, that someone will stop eating and then they just wither away. But if I keep messing with them and disturbing them they will eat. So why didn't this little guy eat when I first put him in front of the food? Who knows, but why did it take 20 minutes of harassment to get him to eat? Granted I do have the time to stand there and basically harass them into eating, but I don't give up either. I did give sub q fluids because I am afraid of dehydration...I had a favorite tortoise stop eating and the Vet looked at her and immediately said she was dehydrated. I soaked her everyday, so why was she dehydrated? She was 4 years old when she died. She stopped eating and 3 weeks later she was dead. So I get right on top of anybody that stops eating. I may be over reacting but having Cali die really bothers me, and having the Vet say she was dehydrated really threw me. So now if somebody stops eating I start with the harassing to make them eat and I start the fluids after a couple of days if they aren't eating...
Anyhow, I'm sorry I didn't mean to make this about me...but I am trying to show you how I get mine to eat and why I do what I do...

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Maggie....I am up for any suggestions. I do offer lettuces etc. at every meal. Everyone keeps saying to offer her something with color to tempt her i.e. the peppers and carrot. I have spent a fortune on different thing I figured I'd try. Spring mix, euro mix, herb mix, squash, carrot, peppers, dandelion, wheat grass, assorted vitamins and soaks. She already had her soak and was offered her morning fare. When the sun came out I found another opportunity to bug her and put her outside and decided to try the peppers and carrots. My daughter took advantage, but the tortoise is still refusing my efforts.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I think there are a host of questions in this thread that you might wanna just jot down & ask the vet about, Dani. ;) Glad to hear she was really cruising around today... having the heat lamp was good, altho anything you can do to keep the breeze directed away from her would 'prolly be most beneficial. Here's hoping the sun keeps shining where you are for a while!

And Maggie, bestest wishes to you & your lil' torties too ~

Purpod

M

Maggie Cummings

purpod said:
I think there are a host of questions in this thread that you might wanna just jot down & ask the vet about, Dani. ;) Glad to hear she was really cruising around today... having the heat lamp was good, altho anything you can do to keep the breeze directed away from her would 'prolly be most beneficial. Here's hoping the sun keeps shining where you are for a while!

And Maggie, bestest wishes to you & your lil' torties too ~

Purpod

Both of my tortoises ate a good meal last night...for which I am eternally grateful...

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
maggie3fan said:
Both of my tortoises ate a good meal last night...for which I am eternally grateful...

HOOOORAY for you & your lil' tort's ~ great news, Maggie!

And how is your babe, Dani?

Thinking of you,
Purpod

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi can i ask what lighting you have in your table ,because it seeems you had a positive reaction to sunlight.i keep and breed leopard tortoises i have several hatchlings with me at the moment , and would like to help in some way.if at all possible.
terry

treshell

5 Year Member
Can I make this comment all about me? Where do I do sub q fluids? Would just a small amount of liquid vitamins and a tiny amount of water just under the skin? I put the acupuncture needle on the back leg, on the lateral side about where I pretend the knee is at (St3). Thanks for allow all of the amazing amount of training.
Treshell and Toto

Status
Not open for further replies.