My NEW home made sulcata tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccky Furlano

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have learned so much about everything. I have built this tortoise table from scratch and tried to include everything i read on the forum. I was wondering what the "tortoise pros" thought about it. Any constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Thanks
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366600196.874976.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366600230.930321.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366600268.976875.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks really nice. Just two suggestions. Those kinds of water dishes has been known to cause deaths. I would switch it out for a clay plant saucer. Also, the upper level, I would put a railing so he can't walk off and end up on his back. Not sure about the stair looking rock, if that's safe or could he just tumble down it and flip too.

One more thing. The clamp lights. I suggest hanging them another way. The clamps have been known to give and you either have a burnt tort or house. They also should point straight down.

Minority1

5 Year Member
I would switch out the clamps and use/build stands instead. Have the lights pointed straight down. The reflection on picture #2 seems like you're using 2x coiled UVB bulbs. Am i right? If so return them for a linear tube style UVB fixture and bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't notice the bulb as Minority1 mentioned. If it is coil, get rid of it. They are known to cause eye problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks very nice, but all those openings are going to make it very difficult to contain your warm humid air. All that electricity you are using to heat things up is going to evaporate all the water and then float up and into the room. Then you will need MORE heat so it doesn't get too cool. All that electric heat ends up drying out their carapace and contributes to pyramiding. I suggest a closed chamber:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

I also agree with the above posters about the water bowl and the coil bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.