MY NEW REDFOOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
I couldn't help myself! found him on craigslist and had to have him. he's huge they said he's 4 years old and 14 inches. such a good boy and came from a loving caring home. I did notice his bottom jaw is over grown. Is this something a vet can grind down? I renamed him Ruger

Attachments

• brae and rug 011.JPG
    brae and rug 011.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • brae and rug 012.JPG
    brae and rug 012.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • brae and rug 009.JPG
    brae and rug 009.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 39

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
He is very beautiful ;)

He does definitely need an experienced tortoise vet for that under bite though. It is pretty bad.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Thanks Kristina, I noticed it right away and she said he'd never been to a vet. Thanks I will definitely get him in next week.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
14" and only 4 years old? He must be on some super growth formula. My adults are 6 and 7 years old and they're not even quite 11" yet.

krb1093

5 Year Member
LOL, yeah she has the paperwork from 08 and he was just a tiny little thing

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Wow that's awesome :)

Just curious but did the previous owner tell you what kind of diet they were using on him? I've got two six inch tortoises that are around 4 years old and I'm just curious about the diet so I can compare to what I've been feeding mine. They're 2 females that I want to put In with my adults one day.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RonHays said:
14" and only 4 years old? He must be on some super growth formula. My adults are 6 and 7 years old and they're not even quite 11" yet.

Ron your exactly right *good catch* .....KRB- paper work or not NO RF tortoise will be 14" in 4 years.....not from a hatchling or even a 6" tortoise will grow to be 14" in 4 years. Just because you have seen paperwork from the purchase doesn’t make it a reliable source. The previous owner before you was mislead on the tortoises age as well. There is no such thing as
“ fast growth” super food to put on that size in that short amount of time.
Nevertheless….you have a nice looking RF , and yes needs to have that under bite looked at .

JD~:)

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Ok. That's what I thought JD. But when the OP threw out the "paperwork" on me I started second guessing myself. Lol. I have just never heard of that type of fast growth on a redfoot. Lol

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Very nice tort, and I would have to agree regarding that is just too big for only a 4 year old redfoot. My redfoot is 4 years old, and is only 6.5 inches SCL (Straight Carapace Length). I wouldn't say he is the fastest or slowest grower out there, but that should give you a rough estimate.

Keep us updated on what the vet says about that underbite.

krb1093

5 Year Member
I've got a picture she left on the enclosure of her grandson and the red foot. Was was a very small baby. Her grandson was 8 when they got him and he's now 12. I'll try to take a pic of the pic to show you. Now I'm worried!

K, My hubby and I just measured him. We were told he was 14, we measured 12. heres a picture of him 4 years ago and now. I met their grandson he was 8 and is now 12.

Had to start a new thread couldn't get the pics to come up on this one

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Jeepers. Big guy.

My 7 year old is only 8 inches. O_O;

But he had stunted growth.

Adorable!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
He's cute! But I'm interested in how they would deal with that underbite. I wonder if it's a jaw issue or a beak issue.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Mgridgaway said:
He's cute! But I'm interested in how they would deal with that underbite. I wonder if it's a jaw issue or a beak issue.
Not sure. I noticed it when I picked him up. I asked if he'd ever had his beak trimmed. They said he'd never seen a vet. I seen the tops of beaks needing to be trimmed but never bottom. I'm not sure I will get him into my vet this week

Nixxy said:
Jeepers. Big guy.

My 7 year old is only 8 inches. O_O;

But he had stunted growth.

Adorable!
He is a big guy! I posted another thread with his baby pic and him now. People said it was possible but likely due from poor nutrition and housing. Poor baby :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.