WHY SO BIG AT 4 YEARS OLD?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
K, This is his baby pic 4 years ago. We were told he was 14 inches long now, but my hubby and I measured him and he is actually 12 inches. On my last post people said it wasn't possible, so now I'm worried. He is only 4 I spoke with the previous owners and met her grandson. he was 8 when they got him and he's now 12 and the paperwork they had for the redfoot was from 2008.

Attachments

• ruger baby 001.JPG
    ruger baby 001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • inches 001.JPG
    inches 001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • inches 002.JPG
    inches 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It is very possible - You see the results in front of you.....The animal needs some better husbandry though......

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
growing that quickly is not a good thing. You want a tortoise to grow nice and slow, not too slow, but even. That gives their bodies time to develop properly. At any rate, the poor thing has quite a bit of pyramiding going on, which is another sign of bad nutrition and housing. It sounds like you adopted him, though, so hopefully you will be able to get him on track to becoming healthier! :)

krb1093

5 Year Member
AWWW, poor baby! They seemed very nice and looked as though he was well cared for and loved.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The reason that this tortoise is so large at such a young age is a result of accelerated growth. Keeping it too hot consistently (day and night), which causes a more rapid metabolic rate. Also very likely being kept in a small confined area without adequate exercise space and too dry. The back portion of the shell that you see that is stretched and flattened is a telltale sign of accelerated growth coupled with MBD. If it were just MBD the tortoise would appear more "stunted" but very pyramided. In terms of diet, growth (accelerated) is usually affected by a high volume, poor quality diet as well as one that is high in protein, even for a Redfoot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Was he 8" or 8 years old when they got him? If he was 8" when they got him in 2008 and he's 12" now, four years later, that is not "fast" growth. 4" in four years is fine. Judging from his scutes and shape, he was not in a proper environment for a redfoot, but hopefully you will correct that.

If he's 12 years old, that size is normal and fine. If he went from 8" to 12" in four years, that is also fine. If he's only four years old and 12", well that would be fast growth coupled with apparently incorrect conditions.

Clarification please.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Tom said:
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Was he 8" or 8 years old when they got him? If he was 8" when they got him in 2008 and he's 12" now, four years later, that is not "fast" growth. 4" in four years is fine. Judging from his scutes and shape, he was not in a proper environment for a redfoot, but hopefully you will correct that.

If he's 12 years old, that size is normal and fine. If he went from 8" to 12" in four years, that is also fine. If he's only four years old and 12", well that would be fast growth coupled with apparently incorrect conditions.

Clarification please.

I believe she was talking about the age of their son when he got the tortoise.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
She's saying the tortoise was born in '08. A hatchling to 12" in 4 years. She explained that in another thread.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
It is very possible - You see the results in front of you.....The animal needs some better husbandry though......

Possible ? ......or super freak ..........the tortoise was born in '08. A hatchling to 12" in 4 years, what happened to the 14" ?
Results?....I see pictures of RF's and a baby....whos to say thats even the same tortoise?
A hatchling to adult hood in 4 years? Hummmmmmmmmm...
In the 20 years I've kept RF's I have never seen that kind of growth in this species at all, now if this was a sullie, leo or the Alda's and Galops' I would accpet more readily ...I guess theres always a first.......:cool:

I'm thinking the kid is 7' 2" now as well ....... :p

Thanks for posting and sharing the story ......very interesting.

JD~

krb1093

5 Year Member
I'm just going by what the lady told us. I met her and her grandson. They gave me a pic from when he was a baby. I really don't think she would have lied to me, there was no reason to. She told me he was 14" my hubby and I measured him last night and got 12". I don't know what to say about it. I have pics of him she sent me when he was about 3 yrs old. Just so I could see him until I could get him. I have people telling me it can't happen and others saying it can. I don't know im not an expert. Don't really care just happy I'm able to care for him :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
krb1093 said:
I'm just going by what the lady told us. I met her and her grandson. They gave me a pic from when he was a baby. I really don't think she would have lied to me, there was no reason to. She told me he was 14" my hubby and I measured him last night and got 12". I don't know what to say about it. I have pics of him she sent me when he was about 3 yrs old. Just so I could see him until I could get him. I have people telling me it can't happen and others saying it can. I don't know im not an expert. Don't really care just happy I'm able to care for him :)

Thats all that matters! :)

" Happy Tort~n"

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The length measurements might differ because the previous owner might have measured along the curvature of the carapace, whereas if you measured straight carapace length (SCL), you would have come up with a smaller (and correct) number. 14" vs. 12" sounds like about the discrepancy I would expect from that kind of methodological difference.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Yes, GeoTerra that's what we did. She must have measured the other way

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
In any case, I'm happy that tort has a good home now. Keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.